I've got a bone to pick with the United States Postal Service (hereafter referred to as USPS). I don't know what it is about this job, but most postal employees I've come across are just plain ornery! Maybe it's because it's December and it's busy? You'd think that they would be grateful for the increase in business and just shut up! Anyway, a few weeks ago there was a sign posted above the mail boxes in our complex that read, "Mail Must Be Picked Up Every 3 Days," and in handwriting, "Removing this sign does not change policy, it only hurts your neighbor!" As I was collecting my mail, I was trying to figure out how removing the sign hurt my neighbor. I then began thinking that maybe Rob and I were the offenders. We went out of town for almost a week, and our mail was being picked up, but it didn't get picked up on Saturday (from what I could tell) and it was then Monday. So, whatever, I chuckled at the sign and almost ripped it down, because that's just how I am (I hate passive-aggressiveness).
About a week ago, I picked up our mail and noticed that the paper sign that is repeatedly ripped down was replaced with a permanent metal one. There's no taking that baby down! Anyway, I just think it's really funny. Personally, I don't think it's anyone's business how often you get your mail. You get it when you get it.
We didn't pick our mail up on Saturday because it was just a crazy day and we forgot. I stopped by the mailbox while I was walking to our condo, and opened it up to see our mail crammed in the box. The junk mail and ads were crumpled up in a ball and shoved into the box. And it's not like it was full! There was plenty of room in there for the junk mail and ads to be placed flat. Talk about passive-aggressive. If I were home when the mail was delivered, I'd hang out by the mailbox and give this mail carrier one of my minds - not just a piece of it! I was so angry that the mail carrier crumpled up my Rite Aid circular. I was really wanting to know the price of a Chia Pet, but I couldn't tell because of the creases in the paper. That dang postal carrier!
So maybe I was so upset about it because this incident came right on the heels of one earlier that morning. I put my Christmas cards in the outgoing mail at work, and when I went to lunch the receptionist told me that the mailman gave her an earful about how people need to take their personal mail to the post office instead of mailing it from work. Why in the heck does he care? His job is to deliver and pick up mail. Period.
What happened to the good 'ol days when you knew your mailman's name? He was a nice, friendly sort of guy. He'd stop to shoot the breeze, and tell you that he was gay (like you couldn't tell from his uber tight shirt unbuttoned to the navel and his shorty-short postman shorts) and then invite you to see his play that he was putting on at the LGBT center in West Hollywood? I miss those days. I miss Derek. He was the best mailman a girl could have. Derek would never chastise me for mailing personal mail from work. He would never crumple up my junk mail and shove it in the box. I miss you Derek!
I am sorely disappointed in the USPS. And they wonder why people use FedEx and UPS more often.


5 comments:
I'm so with you on this one. We used to give our mailman a Christmas present every year. Then, one year, we got a new one and he started saying that it was "against policy" to take presents. Whatever. It's a Christmas present for heaven's sake -- not a bomb! Also, one time, I tried to drop my mail off at the district office in American Fork since I was there already and I didn't know where the nearest post office was. Well, the mail carrier was RIGHT THERE and told me that I had to get authorization from the superintendent to put anything in the mail slot. Whatever, dude. I'll just hand-deliver my mail, it'll be easier.
LOL, so true!
Lame, why must people be so anal retentive. Who cares where you mail your personal mail, I didn't realize there are postal districts like school districts.
That guy seriously needs to get a life. Seriously.
Here here Sister!
Not only do they shove in a newspaper size compilation of local ads that don't include any actual coupons besides some for The Hut and Dominos every two days, but our carriers actually LOSE our mail. Let's just say I ended up buying two Mother's Day gifts for Casey's mom this year because her original gift got lost for two weeks and didn't appear until I called and complained about it never showing up. Magically, 2 days later it appeared, conveniently when we were out of town and unable to remove it from the vulnerability of our front doorstep.
Also, my Netflix often just don't arrive...I think the USPS has a fantastic movie collection.
Post a Comment