A few months ago, an announcement was made in our ward that our stake would be one of the first stakes to test out the New Family Search (new.familysearch.org). I decided I would hop on over there and see what it was like, not really knowing what to expect. Let me tell you, my mind was blown! Once I registered, the program showed me and my parents and then let me search for other ancestors. I searched for my paternal grandmother and then "BAAMM!" all of this other stuff came up. Her line back to the early 1700s was pulled up just by searching her name! Since then, my mom and I have been on a family history kick. Just on my mom's line, we've prepared over 30 names for temple work.
Being engaged in this work has been so fulfilling. I love going to the temple and performing these ordinances for my deceased ancestors. I feel a connection to them like I've never felt before. One of the great things about the New Family Search is that it identifies ordinances that have not been performed. I found out that my dad's parents were never sealed to their parents. Robert and I were able to go to the temple and perform those sealings. I have been lucky to know most of my great-grandparents (the last one passing away when I was about 15), but I never knew my dad's grandfathers. Being able to perform this work helped me feel that link to them.
I have also been blessed these last few months to volunteer as an ordinance worker in the Provo temple. I do not know how much longer I will be able to do this, so I really cherish those few hours every week that I am able to help there. I love being in the temple and feeling the Spirit of the Lord while I am there. It is peaceful and serene. It is also a place of great learning. I am grateful for that peace I feel and the knowledge that I receive while I attend and am especially grateful for my own temple blessings. I love my husband so much and I am grateful for the knowledge that our marriage does not end in death, but will continue into eternity... and that the children who come into our family will be ours for eternity, too.
Friday, November 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I'm glad you caught the family history bug! You are a great example to me! Great job!
What a blessing temple work is!!
That's cool - I have yet to be bitten by the family history bug - but the new technology is amazing. Our ward is big into the new indexing stuff right now and that is pretty cool stuff too!
That is so exciting you are finding such success with Family History. To be honest, it completely overwhelms me. I look at our family history and it goes way back. There are many errors we are supposed to rectify on family search and I hardly know where to start. So, I learned how to do indexing. I'm jealous of you serving in the temple. My experience doing so for 5 years was so fulfilling. Take advantage of every opportunity. You'll never regret it.
Post a Comment