Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Cat's Gotta Go

Anyone in the market for a 4 year old black cat?

That's right, we're going to get rid of Kaydee. I've been hearing all sorts of stories about cats smothering babies in cribs, peeing on baby stuff, and getting downright mean to the baby and the parents when baby comes home. I don't want anything like that to happen to our baby, so we decided we should find a new home for Kaydee. The problem is, every single time I think about just putting her up on KSL or Craig's List, I feel all sorts of trepidation about giving her to a stranger. I'd rather give her to a home that I know will take good care of her and will be aware of all her cat quirkiness. Nobody seems to want a cat, though. I know we still have time, but the longer she is still with us the more I feel bad about giving her away.

A few weeks ago, Kaydee went outside while Rob was loading some stuff into the car. Neither Rob nor I noticed that she went outside, so the door was closed and we both went to bed. I thought I heard some cats fighting that night, but since Kaydee isn't an outside cat, I didn't think it was her. It wasn't until noon the next day that I started to notice that she wasn't around bothering me like usual. I asked Rob if he'd seen her, and he hadn't. Then I heard some meowing and I saw Kaydee come out from under the BBQ. I think she'd been hiding there all night. I opened the door for her and she scurried into the house and hid in the closet for most of the day. And then later that night, we were watching TV and we heard a sound that was almost like a person falling down the stairs. We looked outside and saw Morris, the neighborhood tom cat, right outside the sliding glass door. He was taunting Kaydee and she wanted a serious piece of him. It ocurred to me then and there that I've seen Morris molesting neighborhood cats on previous ocassions, so he probably had molested our cat the night before. No cat should have to go through that.

And now I feel even more guilty about getting rid of Kaydee. Rob keeps telling me that she's only a cat and she'll get over it and so will I, so I just need to make the commitment to give her away. I still want to give her to someone I know will take good care of her, so if you know of anyone who would like a cat please let me know.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I don't think it would be fair to the cat to subject her to my kids. ha ha ha :)

foreverlaym said...

No, I don't want a cat, but I do want to say CONGRATU-FREAKING-LATIONS on the baby! I am so excited for you!!!!!