Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Baby Stuff is Tricky

I'm having an incredible urge to buy baby things. I've already picked out a crib and changing table/dresser from IKEA. My sister bought the same one from IKEA and it served Tyler well until just a few years ago. And I don't mean that he was in a crib until he was 5. The crib turns into a toddler bed, so that's a plus. But if we get our way we'll have more than 1 child, so who knows what the plans will be for how long the crib will stay a crib. But as far as other stuff goes, I just don't know what to get. I know absolutely nothing about strollers, car seats, high chairs, baby baths, etc. For the large purchases, I'm not stuck on getting a boy or girl color scheme because I do want things that can be used for either sex. This stuff is pricey, so I'm looking for longevity here. I've already decided that I like primary colors for baby rooms, anyway, and will advertise our baby's gender with its clothes and hair accessories or lack thereof. Hair accessories, that is. Not clothes.

So, I'm sort of stuck. Anyone have any good ideas for where to register for baby things or which brands are more reliable than others? And when should I start getting this stuff?

8 comments:

Casey&Mal said...

Call me. We must talk. I have done lots of research and know what TO get and what NOT to get.....I have lots of both.....call me.

Christine said...

Oh Jen, I could write a book about baby stuff. Way too much to write here about. I have some purchases that I LOVE and some that were mistakes. If you have any particular questions, email me (if you want). I'll email you a list my sister sent me that was really helpful with my first as a starting place.

The King's said...

My one piece of advice on car seats is this (and it may sound dumb but it really bugs me)...We have used the same carseat for both our boys and I HATE the canopy on ours. Now I don't hate canopies in general just ours. Most carseats have a canopy that stays put when you use it. They sort of click into place, well not ours, it just flops around all over the place. It is very annoying. So make sure you get one that clicks into place and stays there. Believe me you will thank me later.
Sorry no help in the stroller or crib department. We got both of those things as hand-me-downs from other people.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Katie said...

I would say to wait-I was amazed at how many things were just given to me. And you do not need a baby bath tub-a baby sponge works great and takes up very little room.

Also, if you want to borrow some of my things, let me know. I have a swing, a bassinet, and I'm sure I have other things I just can't think of right now. Feel free to come shopping at my house.

Unknown said...

I don't know, but sometimes I want to buy baby stuff too just because it is so cute and I have to remind myself, duh, not even a husband, hello! :D So happy shopping!

foreverlaym said...

Phil and I started buying stuff early so we didn't feel like we spent a million dollars all at once. You do get a lot of stuff from people, but most of it tends to be clothes (not that I'm complaining). As far as a baby tub, you don't necessarily need one, unless you don't like bending over the regular tub (which I don't). It was nice to be able to bathe the baby on top of the counter, if you know what I mean.

katieo said...

I'm a minimalist when it comes to baby stuff. When we find ourselves needing something, I can usually find a friend who is done with whatever...

That said, This is my list o'stuff that we've used consistently with every boy. Keep in mind this is over the long haul. You won't need most of this stuff at first. These are just the things that we find are better to own (whether bought or handed down):
-carseat
-umbrella stroller
-pack n play
-crib
-high chair (we got ours at toysrus for 20$...it's graco, plastic, I think IKEA has one similar. no bells and whistles, EASY to just wipe down)

Stuff like swings, bath seats, tubs, exersaucers, -all that is better to just borrow (well, that's been our experience).

In general we're the type of people that look at babies around the world and think, You know babies sleep in baskets, in floors of huts, in drawers, etc. It seems like Americans are the only ones who go crazy with all the stuff you supposedly "need," you know? AND some of our kids have LOVED the baby swing, some have hated it. Some kids wouldn't EVER have sat in those baby tubs, some loved it. So I think borrowing "extras" to try out is smart...even if you want to own one of whatever...you just don't know what your baby is going to like. (with Luke (oldest) we used the baby tub allll the time. By the time #4 rolled around, we were using baby wipes. seriously.)

Good luck! :)

Julie Hall said...

I'm in the same place Jen. People keep asking me if I'm registered and I sat down to do it and I have no idea what to register for. I might go buy the consumer reports baby guide today. I'll pass it on to you if it is helpful.