Thursday, May 13, 2010

Folklore

I'm taking a class right now called American Folklore and for my final project I needed to chose an aspect of what could be considered modern folklore and explore it. I thought it would be a long stretch, but I chose blogging as the aspect I would like to explore and my professor thought it was brilliant. I guess traditional folklorists would only consider stories told face-to-face as actually being folklore, but I think that since technology has come into play, we need to accept that.

So, my project is going to be about blogging and how, as a form of folklore, it represents American values. I need to interview 8-10 bloggers about their blogging experiences, and these experiences will be used in my paper. I only need to do a few of these interviews in person, but the rest can be through e-mail or over the phone. So don't worry if you're not local. I promise it won't take much of your time. If you want to participate, let me know by leaving a comment and I will contact you within the next few weeks for an interview.

8 comments:

Julie Hall said...

I took that class at BYU. I ended up doing my project on ear piercing. It was really interesting. Good luck with yours. If I were any kind of blogger I would volunteer, but I can't seem to blog. I lack the dedication.

Christine said...

I volunteer!! Email is best for me since the children interfere the least with that. :)

Unknown said...

You should try to talk to the Seriously So Blessed person or that girl who is LDS and in NYC and does broadway and has a blog or that Mormon Pioneer Mom one...

JMadd said...

Krystal - Pioneer Woman isn't LDS. I thought about interviewing her, but her blog seems too commercial. I'm more interested in bloggers who maintain a personal blog rather than a blog about a specific topic like cooking or whatever. Although, I do want to include Seriously So Blessed because she makes fun of the typical personal blogger. I think you'd be a great candidate, too, Krystal. I'm not only looking for Mommy Bloggers, but all types of personal blog writers.

L3 said...

I'll do it!

Cheryl said...

I'd be willing to help you out if you'd like. I haven't blogged much lately though! :) Good luck with your project, sounds interesting!

Nathan said...

So, I'm not a blogger worth focusing on, but if you're desperate, let me know and I can answer the questions. Goodness knows I can carry on a conversation with a brick wall, so I should be able to answer a few questions.

Mrs. Martha said...

How do you feel about closet bloggers? I have like 28 or so (seriously) and I think maybe one is not private.

On second thought, maybe I should be talking to a shrink, actually.

j/k. About the shrink.