Wednesday, October 6, 2010

T Minus 12 Days


I had 2 doctor's appointments today... one with the perinatologist and one with my regular OB. Last week, my regular OB said that there was not a chance that I would be induced early because first time moms and inductions usually turn into a c-section. Today, after having an ultrasound and seeing that this little baby isn't so little (7 lbs 14 oz) with almost 3 weeks to go, the perinatologist suggested that I be induced sometime next week (38 weeks), but not later than 39 weeks. Well, my OB is subscribing to the no later than 39 weeks instructions and I'm being induced on Oct. 18. Which is a little weird, since I'll be 39 weeks next Saturday. But whatever... 5 days early is 5 days early. I'm excited, but a little scared. I just hope that everything goes well with the induction and that, to quote the perinatologist, my "cervix is favorable." At my appointment today, I was 1 1/2 cm dilated and 80% effaced. I don't even know if that's good. I just keep reminding myself that whatever it takes to get this baby here, and here in good shape, is what has to happen. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Christine said...

Congratulations on a date!!
Don't cause yourself undue worry. Not all inductions are awful. I was induced with my first baby a week early. My cervix was already "ripe" and I was somewhat dilated, like you. I didn't think that labor was any worse than my un-induced labors. In my opinion, I'd definitely say that birthing a big baby (my second was over 9 lbs and her labor was the worst of the 3) is much worse than an induction.

Karen Decker said...

Luck wished.

Heidi said...

I'm so excited for your guys! Can't wait to meet her! I finished Mocking Jay. So good!

Casey&Mal said...

Hooray!!!! I have her little present and am SO excited to give it to her! Oh, I am also happy for you to have her here...oh, and not be pregnant anymore!

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

It is good because if things aren't progressing they can break your water since you are dilated a bit. You will do great, I am very excited for you.

Unknown said...

Good luck, I'm sooo excited for you!