Wednesday, October 13, 2010

T Minus 5 Days

Not that anyone cares for an update on my cervix, but there has been no change since last week. Still 1 1/2 cm dilated and 80% effaced. My mom, Rob's mom, and the labor and delivery nurses kept telling me that I would go into labor before my induction next Monday but apparently all of the pressure in my pelvis hasn't been doing a darn thing. Now I know why a lot of doctors don't even do progress checks... it's just dang frustrating when there's no progress during a week. And you know what my doctor said to me? "Frankly, I'm glad that there's no progress because I'm going out of town tomorrow and I don't want you to go into labor while I'm gone." Well, OK. When he puts it that way...

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but the last few weeks have been really hard. I've never known such discomfort in my life, and just when I think that the discomfort can't get any worse, it does. I am grateful, though. I start to think about the miracle of bringing life into the world and the more I think about it and the more I get into actually doing it, it seems like more of a miracle. I'm simply fascinated by how it all happens and it's been a huge test of faith. It would be an understatement to say that I like to have control over a situation. In this situation, I have had to give up all control to Heavenly Father and remember that my little girl was His daughter before she will be mine and that I have to trust that He will take care of her and me. It's still hard, though. And the next few days will be hard, too.

And speaking of hard... who knew that pregnant bellies were as hard as they are? I've always been a little squishy around the middle and expected the squishy layer to surround and protect the bump. Not so. And since I never made it a habit of rubbing pregnant women's bellies, I never knew they were so hard.

5 comments:

barbaraence said...

can't wait to hear the exciting news!!!

Casey&Mal said...

You're so funny, Jen. You may not have much dilation, but 80% is REALLY good! I was about a 1 for like 3 weeks...0%.
May I suggest taking a long walk? I took a power-like walk (as much as you can do 3 days after due date...) for about an hour and then started feeling contractions. Beck was born the following night. Just a thought :)
Okay, it's also a little pressure. I have a very cute present for your little girl and I want to give it to her/you very BADLY!

Katie said...

1 1/2 cm-That's WAY more than my body will ever do! You should very pleased with your body.

Christine said...

Yep, those last few weeks are torture, especially when you are just sure that the baby will come any day and then . . . nothing. At least you have a target date though. I can't wait for the news!

P.S. One weird thing no one talks about is how your un-pregnant belly will feel. It will still be big after delivery, but squishy. Its odd.

katieo said...

Oh yeah. I hear ya. That is my most unfavorite time of my life.

I have gone 4-5 days over my due date with all of my boys and it is hell. HELL.

Sorry if I sound a little dramatic but it's true - it's the hardest thing I've ever done.

hang in there. Although it might feel like the end will never come, it will!! We'll keep you guys in our prayers.