Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Will Your Parents Protect You?

When I was growing up, I never doubted the answer to that question. I always knew that as long as I told my parents the truth about what happened, they would both go to bat for me. My dad told me that he would even stand up for me if I smacked a bully in the face and got sent to detention... as long as I tried other non-violent means before I resorted to face smacking.

Lately, Rob and I have been talking about how important it is for our children to know that we will always protect them and stand up for them. That's what parents do. And when something bad happens to your child, they need to know that you will protect them if they tell you. Like in the case of bullying or heaven forbid, something even worse.

I was watching Today on NBC and they were interviewing a disabled girl, who was a victim of bullying, and her parents. If you haven't heard the story, the girl comes home and tells her dad that kids on the school bus have been making fun of her, calling her names, and even throwing condoms at her. The dad walks onto the bus and goes nuts, yelling at the kids and even cursing at them. Now, I'm not so sure I would have done it the way that he did, but I would have defended and protected my child from that sort of treatment, too. Now this dad has been charged with some sort of misdemeanor for "assaulting" the kids on the bus. What about all of the assault that was committed against his disabled daughter? Where is the justice in this situation? Why is their no punishment for the bullies and their parents, or even the bus driver?

I probably would have contacted the school before charging onto the bus and unleashing a tirade of profanities. But if the school didn't take any steps to stop the bullying, I probably would have taken matters into my own hands. What would you have done?

4 comments:

Karen Decker said...

Usually going to an administrator is very effective. Once an administrator has been told of the situation they have to check into the matter- cause if they do not and the situation continues or gets worse the administrator IS held jointly liable. If that fails . . .calling the bullys names and throwing condoms at them may get some attention. Did this dad strike anyone? That would be a BIG no-no.
If it were my kids doing the name calling and the throwing I would be thanking the parent who yelled at them.

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

This bullying thing needs to stop. I have been hearing way to many stories of kids being bullied and it not ending well. Something needs to be done.

JMadd said...

Karen - as far as I know, he didn't touch any of the kids. He just yelled and screamed.

Casey&Mal said...

I am totally with you. Especially if the child cannot stand up for him or herself, or has tried and continues to be bullied. That's part of our job, isn't it? Being loving and protecting parents? In some cases, protecting them from themselves, too.Isn't that why we cover outlets, put locks on the cabinets and employ car seats?
What is the point of doing all that if we were to just give up when they go to school? Just because we can't be there every moment doesn't mean we cannot be involved parents, including helping children that are not our own, to be, in the very least, safe.