Monday, September 15, 2008

It's another hungry mouth to feed in the ghetto...

Thank you Elvis.

I was reading my friend Mal's blog today and she blogged about the lack of common sense and hygiene displayed by the members of her ward. I think my ward members are pretty hygenic. I've never smelled anything funny there, or seen puke in the hallway, so hygiene, or lack thereof in my ward, isn't the subject of which I want to write. I do, however, want to write about the lack of common sense and hygiene of my next door neighbors. They don't go to our ward, so I can talk about them.

Before I moved into Robert's condo, I never really noticed anything sitting outside our neighbors door except for their children's swim trunks drying on the rail. Not my style, but whatev. But after I moved in, I started noticing plastic grocery bags with something in them piling up on the front porch. And then one day, I saw dirty diapers, sans the bag, piled up on the porch. I asked Robert about it and he said that he has seen the door open a crack and a diaper being thrown out and then the door closing. Sometimes they leave these diapers sitting there for days. But the peak of laziness hadn't been reached until this morning when I saw a pile of diapers, with one of them opened and its contents spilling out onto the porch. It made me want to vomitar right there on the porch. I just put my head down and ran past it. When I came home for lunch, the pile o' diapers was gone, but the memory still lingered.

Willowbrook Condos are small, but not so small that a diaper sitting in the garbage for a night or so will create fumes toxic enough to kill the entire family. I Just don't understand why this family can't get themselves a Diaper Genie and empty it every so often. Or, why they can't walk the 25 feet to the dumpster to toss it. To me, throwing dirty diapers out on the porch is the epitome of white trash... or so I thought.

Last week, I was walking up to the condo from the mailbox and I was stopped by a woman sitting on the grassy knoll outside our living room window. She asked me what my name was, but not in a nice, friendly way. It was more like "Who are you?" I told her my name and she said that her name was Jennifer, too. I noticed she had a child in her lap, but I usually look people in the face while I'm talking to them, so I didn't notice that the 3 year old child in her lap was nursing. She had her entire breast exposed to the world, while she was feeding a 3 year old! On the grassy knoll outside my living room window! Not OK. Now, I don't want people to think that I'm opposed to breastfeeding, because I'm not, but I think that the girls should be covered at all times. And I also think there is a statute of limitations on the age of children to be breastfed. Gums, OK. Teeth, not OK. So, although I was shocked and appalled, I tried to keep my game face on and be a good, friendly neighbor, continuing the conversation. Somewhere between her asking me what my name was and which condo I lived in, the three year old decided that he had gotten his fill, got up, and ran over to play with some other kids. Did she tuck everything back in? Nope. Just let it all hang out. And then she began to put me through the 3rd degree about how she doesn't know my fiance personally, but she knows a girl he dated, and that she was so surprised to hear that he was getting married, and how she actually knew my name was Jennifer and where I lived because she was visiting someone else in the neighborhood that had our wedding announcement on their fridge. If I wasn't officially creeped out by the breastfeeding, the admission of stalking closed the deal.

I never really thought of Willowbrook as the ghetto. There doesn't seem to be any violent crime, except for that one shooting a couple of years ago in Building 1 that happened during the day when no one was around. I haven't heard of any break-ins. I don't see bars on windows or gang bangers flashing signs, but I think I live in the ghetto. The HOA has rules that won't allow people to put a satellite dish on the roof, but there are no rules governing dirty diapers thrown onto the porch or public nudity. What gives?

I've decided that I'm going to appoint myself as the official Willowbrook "Ghetto Blaster," fighting tastelessness and promoting common decency. First order of business: buy a Diaper Genie and a Hooter Hider.

12 comments:

Christine said...

When we lived in AZ we were on the ground floor with the dumpster across the parking lot. I always found it a fun challenge to chuck the diaper and make the shot. I got to be pretty good at it. But no, leaving dirty diapers out in plain sight of civilization is just gross!!

Morgan said...

Best blog post ever!

kenzor said...

Glad to see you back on the blog prowl, so to speak. As a dentist, I would like to say that, yes, 3 years old is too long. Much.

McCarthas said...

Wow that is so crazy. It reminds me of home. :)

Unknown said...

LOL. You are so funny--welcome to the neighborhood I guess huh? :D

Karen Decker said...

Jenn- you are always good for a laugh. Great way to start my day! Karen

Mallory said...

I laughed SO LOUD reading this...and I didn't even know it. I was hoping to see a blog post from you b/c there hadn't been one in a while and I was MORE than satisfied with the level of entertainment this one had.
I, personally, SO FAR am against public nursing of children AND babies in general...my sister claims I'll change my mind when I want to leave the house...even so, the hoots should always be hidden!!!
AND...your response to my post...HILARIOUS! I laughed too loud for that one too...and I was at work.

Mallory said...

OH and I've registered for a diaper genie...and was pleasantly surprised that they weren't expensive and at all...and then I was SHOCKED b/c so many people DON'T have them!

Cheryl said...

Personally I feel that it's just sick and wrong to breastfeed a kid that old, and out in the open nonetheless! I once was talking to someone when their kid came up and said,"I'm hungry!" and out came the boob. So I know how that awkward feeling is when you're trying to hide your utter disgust and embarassment!

Jim and Becky said...

Omg! I loooove reading your blog. You steal the words right out of my mouth. I sure wish I had some Hooter Hiders for some of the people that live here.

Melissa said...

That's hilarious... and wrong... on so many levels. And yes, if the child is old enough to ask for the boob, he's too old to get it! Close the dairy and start cooking - that is a grown kid!

Good luck. Ghettos are crazy, but great for story time! I'll watch for more stories to come...

Carina said...

Well, let's see, I nurse my children until they stop.

My oldest was 2.5 years old and my youngest is still nursing at almost the same age. I think that making an arbitrary cut off, like age, or teeth, just isn't right. Besides, nursing a toddler freaking rocks.

The longer you nurse the lower your chance of developing breast and ovarian cancers, less diabetes, MS, rheumatoid arthritis, and better health and IQ for your baby. I've always thought that stopping at day 366 just to put your human baby on cow milk is the weirdest logic ever.

But I don't let it all hang out.

And I have a college degree and wear expensive shoes.

And I think every woman should nurse in public and without a tent/burqa over her.

But I'm with you on the diapers.