Friday, December 5, 2008

Introducing The Blog Frog


Hey Y'All,

You'll notice a new little gadget in the top right hand corner of my blog. I'm totally ripping the following wordage from my favorite blogger, CJane, so please forgive my plagiarism. I guess it's not plagiarism if I give credit, right?

"JMadd Supporters" are people who link their blog to mine. A partial list of what blogs link to mine was created by The Blog Frog (they have a robot that crawls the web and tries to connect blogs together). Please don't judge the grammatical errors on the widget. I hate grammatical errors, but what can I do. That's right, I, and not me. Therefore, some of you may find that your blog is already in this database so you may already be a supporter. (If you don't want to be on this list, click on "Visit the community", then you will see a link that says "Remove my blog".)

To become a supporter, first add a link to this blog somewhere on your blog's sidebar. (If you already link to this blog, you don't need to add the link again, just go on to the next step.) Then, go to the widget on this blog and click "become a supporter." Enter your blog address in the box and click submit. The widget will then go to your blog (behind the scenes) and verify that you have a working link.

The next time you or one of your friends uses the link on your blog, a link to your blog will appear on my blog! The widget displays the last 6 "referrals" from supporters. Even when someone else clicks to my blog from your blog, your blog will appear. (You can only appear at the top of the list once per user who clicks per day.)


You can also click on "Visit the community" to get to know each other better and interact with other readers of this blog. If you have questions about the widget please email rustin@theblogfrog.com (not me!) and he will answer them.


So, I'm in serious need of validation that people actually read my blog. I don't even think my mom reads it :( And, I want to win a $200 gift card from Target. I heart Target.


So here's a question I am posing to all of those who read (or stalk) my blog: What is the etiquette of following blogs? I had a wierdo follow my blog once, but I blocked her because she seems like a psycho and I don't want to be associated with her. Anyhoo, I started looking at other blogs she follows and saw that she is following a lot of my blog friends. How did she find us? I was reading some of the comments on her blog, and I thought one in particular made a lot of sense. I went to this person's blog and started reading. I like this blog. I wanted to follow it. It looks like this person follows several of my co-workers blogs, so I figured it would be OK if I followed her. I added myself as a follower, but I think she blocked me. I can't get any of her feeds. I feel like I just got broken up with on a blog (don't read too much into it ;). What is the proper protocol? Should I have made a comment on her blog and said, "I would like to follow your blog. Do I have your permission?" I just don't know. I don't consider myself a sicko, or a psycho, but I like to read about other people's experiences. I feel very rejected. What are some of your thoughts?


BTW - This person has commented on my blog before.

3 comments:

Holly said...

what? who would block you, jmadd?? that is very odd.

Rusty and Tara said...

Interesting thoughts- someone needs to right the book on "blog etiquitte".

Just to clarify, the widget that C jane described is a new widget that's not quite available to everyone yet called "my supporters", but the "top friends" widget you have is very cool too :)

If you or your readers can think of any other social widgets they would like, let me know. Good luck with the gift card!

Rustin Banks
Creator of TheBlogFrog

Cheryl said...

I'm not a very advanced blogger, if you've noticed my blog is quite simple. I'd be glad to link you, but I don't think anyone reads my blog except a handful of people. I even took off the people following my blog tag/(widget?) because you were the only one! Anyway, most the time I don't even know what I'm doing, but I want you to get your target prize thingy.
And I have no idea about blog protocol. I feel like I need to take a class on keeping up with all this blogging stuff!
So, anyway, good luck!