Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Influenza: The Gift That Keeps on Giving

When I was single, I thought that holidays would automatically be better once I was married because I'd have someone to spend them with. I'd have someone to kiss me at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, someone who would send me flowers on Valentine's Day, and someone to decorate eggs with at Easter. Boy, was I wrong! Rob fell asleep at 10 pm on New Year's Eve and was sick in bed this entire weekend. And when I say "sick in bed," I mean just that. He slept the entire weekend, only getting up to use the bathroom and eat. So that meant no flowers on Velentine's Day in addition to my lack of kiss on New Year's Eve. I guess I shouldn't care all that much, especially since Valentine's Day has been contrived by greeting card companies and the retail market as a ploy to sell crap between Christmas and Easter. But this morning I checked my google reader and read about everyone's awesome Valentine's Day and started feeling sorry for myself. And even worse than that, the kids I teach in Sunday school asked what I did for Valentine's Day, and when I told them, one of the kids said, "dang, that's super lame!" Yes, thank you for rubbing the super lame salt in my super lame wound. At least I got this consolation prize from one of the kids: "That's almost as bad as my brother taking his girlfriend to the monster truck rally for Valentine's Day. But not as bad."

So, to all of my single friends: the grass only looks greener on the other side. You might still end up watching Dick Clark by yourself on New Year's Eve and having Valentine's Day be just like any other day. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, right? And when it get's really bad, just remind yourself that it's not as bad as a monster truck rally.

But all kidding aside - my husband and I might not have scrapbook, blog-worthy holiday celebrations, which is OK since I don't do the scrapbook thing, because every regular day is just as momentous, even more so, than I ever thought it could be. I'm so grateful to have a husband who shows me the kind of love and respect every day that some women only see on holidays. That's one of the reasons I let him stick around. That and his Grossness Tolerance Level is much greater than mine. He's my go-to guy when there's grossness that needs to be gotten rid of. I love you, sweetheart! Get well.

10 comments:

Chit Chatt said...

Take comfort knowing that you are not the only married woman who doesn't have a fantastic holiday record. Mark and I didn't kiss at the stroke of midnight for the new year because we were already asleep, and our Valentine's day wasn't much either.

It is true that our holidays don't have to be huge productions because he spends all the other days of the year being the most wonderful husband ever!

foreverlaym said...

I have to admit that I was the one who was asleep by 10:00 on New Year's Eve (actually, it was 9:30) and we didn't do anything for Valentine's Day, either. Maybe it's just us!?!?!

Christine said...

Leave it to the teens to make you feel oh-so-good about yourself. :) Anyway, Jen, I barely make it to midnight (if I do) ever again and my idea of a great date now is simply being sans children. Being with a great companion every day far outweighs the moments that society tells us are the only special ones (i.e. the holidays).

Karen Decker said...

You are so dang funny. Love your style of humor!

Cheryl said...

Don't feel bad, you're not the only wife to feel that way. Notice I haven't made any blog posts about Valentine's, or even my birthday?
Valentines Day- He didn't even remember what day it was on, but he did buy me flowers (a few days early). We watched a movie rental, which we do most weekends anyway.
Then there's birthdays. This year, I made my own cake and bought myself my own present. He even forgot to tell me happy birthday before leaving for work that morning.
But I know he loves me, even if it's not how I expect it to be shown. The best gift to me was one day I came home from work so tired, I fell asleep as soon as I sat down. Luckily Whitney was playing by herself in her room. He came home, tucked me in bed, played with Whitney and made dinner and did the dishes. That was the best!

Heidi said...

As a single girl who still believes that marriage will be all the things I've imagined and more, these comments are making me depressed. I would like to stay in my fantasy land. :)

Katie said...

I'm in a fantasy ;)

JMadd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out to the singletons! :D

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

So true! I should have gotten the clue when dating Mark. He came to pick me up for a New Year's Eve party when we were dating. He sat down on the couch and fell asleep. It hasn't changed since we were married. We've rarely been up later than 10:00 on New Years Eve. My advice? Just keep blogging about the everyday. It's really what's most meaningful, anyway.