When I was roommates with my friend Katie, we would do this thing called "Breakfast of Champions." I'd run out of the house in the morning with a Diet Coke and some Fritos and say "breakfast of champions," as I was shutting the door. And then maybe the next day she'd have some leftover pizza or something like that and she'd say "breakfast of champions," as she was eating. Somehow, my breakfast of champions always invloved Diet Coke. Anyway, gourmet food isn't exactly a priority when you're in college and only when you get older and wiser do you think to yourself, "maybe my breakfast routine shouldn't include Diet Coke and leftover take-out." I've been pretty good since then about eating actual breakfast foods for breakfast, with the exception of chocolate cake if it's available. Thank goodness those occasions are rare.
This morning I poured some wholesome Cheerios into my bowl and then remembered that I didn't buy any milk for myself at the grocery store on Saturday. I bought some whole milk for my husband, but since we are going out of town this week, I skipped buying any 1% for me. I thought about using the whole milk, but could feel my arteries clog just thinking about it, so I put my Cheerios back in the bowl and investigated the fridge for something else to eat. I saw some frosting, leftover trout from Red Lobster, cheese, ranch dressing, radishes, and potatoes, carrots and cabbage leftover from our family dinner last night. I chose the cabbage and potatoes. What was I thinking? I took one bite and changed my mind. I've eaten a lot of crappy stuff for breakfast before, but this was just too much - even for a breakfast of champions!
So I went with some Fig Newtons instead. Afterall, "they're not cookies mother, they're Newtons."
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I still think about our breakfast of champions! Oh the days!
I have a snack drawer at work that usually ends up giving me my "breakfast of champions" for the day.
Once I heard Pres. Gordon B. Hinkley was interviewed and asked the question,"What do you eat for breakfast?" He replied with, "Oatmeal and half a grapefruit." Ever since then whenever I hear or think 'breakfast of champians' I smile and picture oatmeal and grapefruit. That truely is a breakfast of a CHAMPION.
Post a Comment