Friday, March 27, 2009

Bye Bye Bear Creek

I heard about this company called Shirley J the other day. Ha ha, that rhymed. Anyway, a former co-worker started working for the company recently, and opened my eyes up to a whole new world. I didn't know there was a company that made soup bases and special seasonings (and sold them in bulk), or that there was even such a thing. I only knew about that crappy Bear Creek soup mix, which does a number on my intestines... and never even tasted all that great to begin with. Enter Becky.

Shirley J makes these soup bases, like cream and cheese, and also spices for regular cooking and slow-cooker/dutch oven cooking. Since I am spice challenged (at least my husband thinks so), Shirley J is just for me. And since I don't trust my husband's method of just opening jars and throwing stuff in the pot willy-nilly, Shirley J is perfect for him. The bulk sizes are also good for your food storage needs. We're on a food storage kick in our house, and I'm looking forward to adding Shirley J to the collection. And the fact that the labels on their products look like something that came out of a Dharma Initiative hatch makes me feel confident that they will have a long shelf-life ;)
One of the other things that attracts me to Shirley J's products is that they are MSG free! I don't know about you guys, but every time I eat something with MSG in it (aka General Tsao's Chicken) I get a migraine the next day. Sometimes that migraine keeps me from doing the things I love like blogging, watching TV, spying on my neighbors, complaining about the neighbors and eating chocolate. I know with Shirley J my spying abilities will not be compromised.
I'm really excited to try the dough enhancer since I can't make bread to save my life and the soup and sauce bases. We love us some clam chowder in our house, and Campbells Extra Chunky just doesn't cut the mustard.

So now that I've got you interested, Shirley J is having an open house in their Orem store (15 East 400 North) starting March 31 and going through April 11. You can learn about the ultimate universal cooking base and other great products! They'll have cooking demonstrations, free recipes, balloons for the kids and a 10 percent discount for everyone that stops by!

If you're interested in learning more about Shirley J, you can visit the blog or the official Web site.

I'm Jenny From the Block, and I approve this message.

5 comments:

Casey&Mal said...

Dear Abby,

Good grief, I love your blog. So, I've never really been into the whole food storage thing, but I have recently acquired some time and cleaned up some space for it. However, I haven't the slightest idea where on earth to begin....bishops storehouse? costco???? I lately feel this sense of urgency to accomplish this feat. Please help.

Signed,
"I'm Coming to your house if there's a tornado"

Karen Decker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You are hilarious. Don't do anything that will inhibit your spying. One day you will save the world--or at least the lives of your neighbors--Harriet the Spy. :D

Jim and Becky said...

Ha ha! I love the comment about the Darma Initiative!!!

Chit Chatt said...

Me no likey Bear Creek.