Monday, March 9, 2009

I can't hear what you're sayin', young lady!

Today at work I was calling TV stations to find out who their health/medicine producer was for the morning TV news shows. I call Good Morning America, they put me right through. The Today Show put me through even quicker. NBC in Dallas - not as good of an experience. An elderly gentleman answered and he spoke pretty fast, but I thought I heard "NBC and Univision" somewhere in there. So I ask him if there is a health editor or producer for the morning news and he says "I can't hear what you're sayin', young lady." So I moved the receiver a little closer to my mouth and spoke a little louder. I also tried to annunciate a little better. He still didn't understand what I was saying. So I started getting louder and he says, "are you lookin' for a health clinic?" After about the 4th time of me telling him what I wanted, I finally thought to myself that maybe I had called the wrong place so I asked "is this a TV station?" He answers, "well that's what I said in the first place, now how can I help you?" So I asked my question again and he says "young lady, I really don't know what you're talkin' about. Do you need some sort of service?" At this point I was frustrated beyong belief, so I started explaining what a producer was and he says, "oh, you wanna speak to someone in the newsroom?" Yes, I want to speak to someone in the news room. The irony in this whole story is that the client I was calling on behalf of makes hearing aids.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Now that's funny! :)

Nathan said...

I love hearing conversations like this in the office. It makes me glad it's not just me that gets crazies on the phone sometimes.

foreverlaym said...

What was a guy like him doing answering the phone, anyway? Being able to hear should be a prerequisite for phone-answering, if you ask me.