Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You're Not As Cool As I Thought

I went to a craft fair one time with my sisters, aunt, and cousins. I was having fun until this man who was selling something (and I don't even remember what it was) told me that I wasn't "cool" because I didn't buy his goods. At the time, that was the worst insult anyone could have ever given me. You see, I was in the 7th grade and coolness was all I cared about. I did things in the name of cool that I now shrink at the thought of. Aqua Net, anyone? I'm quite positive that global warming was probably caused by all of the Aqua Net being applied in the girl's bathroom at Orville Wright Junior High.

Now the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction. And I don't even care. Well, I mostly don't care. I only care when people talk using their cool, hip words and I don't know what they mean. I'm not sure whether I should just bust out with a "say what?" or pretend like I'm totally down with their lingo. I think I should just pretend that I know. There was an occasion where someone I know asked me what "get down like that" means and I couldn't explain it. I was like, "it just means, you know, to get down like that." And then I felt stupid because I knew what it meant, but I couldn't explain it in terms that this person would understand.

So I'm gonna go out on a limb right now and ask a dumb question. I hear this phrase almost daily, but I'm not really sure what it means. I kinda think I know what it means, but what I'd like to know is, what is the etymology of this phrase. I heard it on a cartoon my nephew was watching, and he's 5, so apparently I speak some archaic language since I don't know. Here's the phrase: "No Dice."

There, I asked. Please don't make fun of me. I don't get down like that.

10 comments:

foreverlaym said...

NO idea. But I do know what "What's the sitch?" means from hours and hours and HOURS of watching episodes of Kim Possible.

Christine said...

I think it means "Not a chance." Dice = chance . . . maybe??

Karen Decker said...

Definition of 'no dice':
Your luck has run out, there is no way your wish will be fulfilled, can't do it, don't even think about it.
It also could mean that the blades on your food chopper are so dull that it won't dice the onions.

Jim and Becky said...

There is actually a website that sheds some light on today's slang. :D I will try to find it so you can keep up. I will repost as soon as I can find it.

Jim and Becky said...

Well it wasn't as hard as I thought to find it. Btw, "get down like that" is a nasty sexual term...ewww. The site is www.urbandictionary.com.
You should check it out.

JMadd said...

Um... from the way Beyonce describes it, "get down like that" refers to dancing. Charlie's Angels dancing, specifically. Beyonce is a liar and a hypocrite! She even sings about "Nasty, put some clothes on," and how she has integrity. Now I'm wondering if "if you liked it, then you shoulda put a ring on it" means something else or "to the left" means something even nastier.

JMadd said...

OK - Maybe I was hasty in my calling Beyonce a liar and a hypocrite. "Get down like that" can have a bad connotation, but Urban Dictionary also says it can mean "Down as in wilding out, having fun, a good time, something exciting, fighting, arguing, dancing."

Nathan said...

Here's the site I found on "no dice." It describes the history of the phrase with roots in illegal gambling and the fact that court cases were sometimes thrown out if the dice involved were not brought as evidence. It's on the Internet, so it must be true, right?

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/256750.html

Casey&Mal said...

Dear Jen,

Here is another site I find quite resourceful:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

This is how I stay cool with the kids. My other favorite resource is Wikipedia...mostly b/c it lists all medicinal side effects and Michael Scott relies on it.

Jim and Becky said...

I think I only looked on the first couple pages of the definition of "get down like that". I know that each phrase can have several meanings. So I'm sure that could also be right. :)