Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Do you remember the time when...

I don't really have anything to blog about right now that's not controversial and wouldn't get me some nasty comments from readers, so I thought I'd blog about an experience I had about 8 1/2 years ago on a dark and stormy night. I was thinking about it today after I saw this really old dude haulin' you-know-what down University Ave.

Once upon a time I was a nanny for a family that lived in Pleasant Grove. I was going to school at BYU at the time, and even though school was out for Christmas break, I was still stuck in town because I needed to work until Dec. 23rd. At approximately 11:30 pm on Dec. 22nd, I was driving back to my house after an evening of Christmas shopping at the Wal-Mart. There were literally 3 cars on the road at the time and, to be honest, stopping at the lights seemed pretty pointless. But being the law abiding citizen I am, I dutifully stopped at every light. I was sitting at an intersection all by myself when a big Ford sedan pulled up next to me and revved its engine. I looked to my right and next to me was President Bateman, the current president of BYU at the time. He revved the engine again, looked both ways, and then went straight through the red light. Was I just challenged to a drag race through the empty streets of Provo by the president of BYU? I think I was. Did I rise to the challenge? Sorry, but no. I was so shocked that all I could do was sit there with my jaw hanging in disbelief. Now I wish I had accepted because I do love me a good drag race.

6 comments:

Christine said...

No way?!! That's so funny.

barbaraence said...

Seriously? That is so awesome.

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

That is crazy. I once ran a red light, on purpose, and I wont be doing that again.

Cheryl said...

LOL!
That's a great memory! I can't believe it...Pres. Bateman?! he he

Cheryl said...

Oh...and I was hoping this post would have something to do about Michael Jackson (the title). I'm looking forward to hear what you have to say about him sometime :)

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

You see the most amazing people at the most random time! Way to say "no" to peer pressure!