Sunday, August 23, 2009

Where's My Camera?

The other day I was telling my friends Heidi and Robyn that I had nothing to blog about lately because I've seen some interesting things but I never have my camera with me, so why blog about it if there's no picture. Then I started telling Heidi about something I saw in our neighborhood and she said that the story could stand on it's own without a picture.

I was driving down the street and in the distance I could see a person holding a giant Mountain Dew in the air. I was intrigued. I mean, wouldn't you be intrigued? As I got closer, I could tell that the person was stopped dead in their tracks, Mountain Dew in the air, the other hand raised in the air with the fingers in the "horns/rock on" sign, totally rockin' out to whatever he/she was listening to. I then got closer and saw that it was a woman roughly my mom's age (in her mid-fifties). She also had a buzz cut and was wearing a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. Classic. You can't make that stuff up. And then I saw her again later that day, still with Mountain Dew, minus the rocking out.

My first thought was that she was drunk, but maybe she just doesn't care what people think. Although I still think Mountain Dew has mind-altering ingredients, I really think it was the latter. She just doesn't care what anyone thinks about her. I used to spend a lot of time worrying about what other people thought about me until one day in the late 90s my dad said to me, "it's really conceited of you to think that other people use up that much of their time and energy thinking about you." That really got to me because it was a little harsh, but, let's face it, totally true.

When I drove by the Mountain Dew lady who was rocking out on the roadside, the only thought I had was that she made my day with her individualism. And that was it. So, thanks, Mountain Dew lady, and thanks Dad, for reminding me not to care so much about what other people think.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

See, I told you! Great post!

Cheryl said...

That's a good lesson for me to remember, thanks Jen!

Karen Decker said...

Thanks for sharing the mental picture. Great advice on individualism. Love you! Karen

Casey&Mal said...

HAHA! Love it! There are so many weird people in the world. I am blessed to be one of them, I think...and also blessed not to be the worst!

Casey&Mal said...

PS...I've missed your blogging...