I realize that this post's title will most likely offend 2/3 of my readers, but I'm in a mood today. Let me tell ya. Most people probably don't know the extent of things, but my pregnancy is considered to be "high risk" because of my blood pressure being high. I've been really blessed that it has stayed low enough for over a month, but there is a likelihood that it will get higher. I guess I have genetics to thank for that. In addition to the "high risk" factor, I start to cramp and bleed whenever I'm on my feet for "too long." The "too long" is arbitrary, because I can't put a specific amount of time on it, I just know when it is happening. So far, the cause of this happening has not been determined. Anyway, one of the triggers seems to be walking the 40 miles from the parking lot at BYU to my classes, carrying 90 lbs of books on my back. Rob's mom suggested that I borrow one of her handicap parking permits so that I can park closer, but somehow I feel guilty about doing that because I'm not a disabled person. I figured that I would follow the rules and request of the parking department that I be able to park in one of the closer lots.
I sent in my request yesterday and received a response this afternoon. It was, by far, the rudest response I have ever received in my life. All BYU had to say was, "sorry, your request has been denied," but instead they sent this long explanation about there being 700 pregnant women on campus at any given time and how I should have thought about the repercussions of getting pregnant while being a student, before I got pregnant. The response also recommended that I maybe not go to school while I'm pregnant if I need special priveleges. I don't know if this is BYU's typical response, or if some parking official just thought this up off the top of his head, but they ought to know better than to send an e-mail like that to a pregnant lady. What bothers me is not the fact that the request was denied. I can work around this, make my own accomodations for not having to walk so far, but the response just added insult to injury.
And everything seems to be adding insult to injury these days. I don't remember getting so upset about the stupidest things before I was pregnant. And I certainly never cared about the cat that I don't like or saving the children. I know it's just the hormones causing me to feel this way but, even in knowing that, I still can't control it.
I just have to keep looking forward to when I will finally have a baby and will also be finished with school. I have 4 classes between me and that diploma, and I will finish it this time... unless I'm put on bedrest, in which case I'll do what I can independent study and go back after the baby is born to take that last dumb Spanish class. And yes, I will take that handicapped permit, thank you.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
That is SO DUMB! I can't believe they would be SOOO rude! That is one thing that gets me about being pregnant in Utah...there are a gagillion pregos around!!! YOU really are special, you know! And your pregnancy is special...and of course, your BABY is special! BYU just sucks....I feel like I can say that cause my husband loves BYU and b/c my MIL works there....they are rude and they suck.
Take the handicapped parking permit and steal their ink pens and school supplies when you can.
I hate the parking Nazi. He must be the most hated man on campus. Tomorrow and Friday, there won't be any parking at all because of Women's Conference. And I have "A" parking privileges! Infuriating.
Wow,that is so rude! And yet, of all the offices at BYU I can believe that would come from Parking (known for their crankiness). You use that permit! 4 classes is nothing. You can do it!
Use the permit.
Seriously, use the permit. You have my permission, both as a child of a handicapped person and as a woman who had "high risk" pregnancies both times and couldn't walk a million miles. I would be tempted to write a nice email back to that person and tell them to shove it!
I thought about writing a "shove it" letter, but since I do actually want to graduate I thought better of it. But I've been writing "shove it" letters in my head all day long: 1 for BYU parking, one for Utah County jury duty, and a few others.
WOW. Take the handicapped sticker and run with it!
I hope you can find a handicapped parking spot this weekend while Women's Conf. is going on. Call me if you need me to drop you near the doors of your classes. I would be happy to provide curbside service.
Sometimes I am truly amazed at how insensitive and rude people can be, especially when you are trying to go through the right venue. So,take the permit...your baby is too precious and important!
And good for you for going back to school, hang in there! (And get a roller pack to lighten you book load, even if it looks silly!)
Cheryl - yes, I don't like the roller backpacks, but I'm going to get one.
What a frickin' rude response they sent you! Obviously they need to learn some tact in the parking department. I would definitely take that handicapped permit and use it. :)
I suggest you apply for the real permit from the DMV. My doctor actually suggested it to me because of my problems but I didn't do it. I assume I could have gotten the permit if requested if she suggested it. Give that a try. Then you can use it everywhere and feel fine about it.
Post a Comment