Monday, August 23, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer

The summer is winding down and so is my pregnancy. I'm in my 32nd week and I keep thinking that 8 weeks seems like such a long time, but really it will go quite fast. And depending on how big this baby gets, it might even go quicker than I can even imagine.



I've been working really hard at controlling my gestational diabetes, but it is pretty hard. My doctor put me on a medication that is supposed to help, but my blood sugar is still all over the place so I'm not really sure. What I am sure of is that as soon as the baby is born I am going to eat some potatoes and a brownie sandwiched between 2 pieces of white bread. With a side of white rice. And some fruit. And some carrots. Oh, how I miss all of those foods.



I'm supposed to start once weekly non stress tests this week. I'm not really sure what that involves except for going to the hospital and getting hooked up to some monitors for a while. I guess it's just to monitor the baby's movements and heart rate to make sure the baby isn't under duress. I've been promised that I can watch TV while I'm there.



Rob has been working hard at getting some things done around the house in preparation for the baby. Well, I'm not so sure that the baby cares about having a new water heater and the hole above the shower fixed, but it sure does make me feel more prepared to have a baby. Rob starts school again this week, so we're kind of in a hurry to get the baby's room cleaned out now. Because once Rob starts school again, UVU will own him.



We went to the temple the other day and performed a bunch of sealings for my ancestors. It felt great to get that work done. I want to try to go to the temple as much as I can in the next little while because I know that it will be pretty infrequent once the baby comes. While I was there, I was being directed to the end of the locker room and then also down to the end of a long row of lockers. I was waddling pretty good because I had to go potty and it was super hot. The lady directing me to the locker said, "I'm sorry to make you walk so far, but it's just good that you're up and around this late in your pregnancy. All of this walking will make that baby come any day now." I then told her that I had 2 months left. She then said, "Oh, by your size and the way you were walking I just figured you were almost done." I know she meant well, but she didn't do much for my self esteem.



I know this hasn't been all that exciting of an update, but there's not much going on around here. Now that I'm finished with school, I don't have a lot stressing me out except for the baby preparations. I'm not getting out much these days except to the doctor and Costco, so nothing really funny to report.

8 comments:

Karen Decker said...

Ordinary updates are 'good'. Perfered, infact. :)

Mrs. Martha said...

There were days that getting the mail was an accomplishment for me, so I say good job that you're getting out!

The stress testing was actually enjoyable for me. I had them 1-2x a day for the last 9 weeks, and I loved hearing them! I felt like it was a sneak peek (and they surely let me know when I was in their grill and didn't want to be bothered!).

BTW, I was just thinking back yesterday with fondness on the weeks before the babies came. I'd gotten the advice, "Read as much as you can. Take baths or anything else that feels pampering to you." I did what I could; while I now don't (usually) miss all the "me" time I had, the advice helped me to stay in the moment and also prepare for the new life about to knock me (in the most delightful way) off my feet.

Christine said...

I agree with Mrs. Martha. Take this time to relax. Soon, you won't have much time to do so.

Liz Huntsman said...

Two months are definitely going to go by fast! I hope you and Robert take some last few moments together doing some things fun that you might not get around to for awhile. :)

The stress test was awesome for me! I got to sit and relax and listen to my beautiful baby's heartbeat. I LOVED it!! They have magazines or you can sleep. It was a comfy chair reclined with the lights low ... I wish they did that all the time! :) Have fun!

barbaraence said...

Mrs. Martha said it all :)
We're sad and sorry to have just missed your shower. :(

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

8 weeks. You are so close to the end. It is so exciting.

Cheryl said...

The last couple of months are the hardest, I think. Hang in there!
I have a baby gift for you that I just didn't get sent out in time for your shower, I don't want you to think I forgot about you! It's coming!

Unknown said...

Yay for temple work and babies coming and Costco and no more school! :)