Friday, December 31, 2010

It Must Be Serious if Larry the Cable Guy is Endorsing It!

While visiting my mom and dad in California, I woke up one night with terrible back pain and figured that I must have had a kidney stone or a kidney infection or something, so first thing the next morning, Robert took me to an urgent care while my dad watched Maggie. Turns out it was a bladder infection (I still think I have a kidney stone, but whatever), and it took 4 hours for someone to tell me that. While waiting for the doctor, I picked up an Us Weekly and started reading. My attention was drawn to a picture of a little baby with some sort of apparatus keeping his legs apart and hips flexed. I started reading the article, and it was about Larry the Cable Guy's little boy being born with hip displacia. He had to wear that apparatus to fix his hip. The article also said that if the problem wasn't fixed, it would cause arthritis and other hip problems in adults. Larry the Cable Guy has started a hip displacia awareness campaign to make sure that little babies like his get their hips fixed.

For the last several years, I have had hip problems. My doctor said I'm much too young for that and I'll probably need a hip replacement one of these days. And when I say I have hip problems, sometimes it gets so bad that I can't walk. Cortisone shots have been helpful, and there was this one drug, but it got recalled. Since having Maggie, it has gotten really bad. And who woulda thunk that I had hip displacia when I was a kid? I knew there was something wrong with my hips as a child, but my mom never really told me what it was. After reading the article, I asked my mom and she said that she didn't know what was wrong with my hips, but she pointed out how Maggie can bring her legs all the way up to where she looks like a frog. I couldn't do that as a kid. The pediatrician told her to put two diapers on me and that would take care of the problem. It didn't.

So, listen to Larry the Cable Guy, and me, and if your baby has hip displacia, get it taken care of the right way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that's funny :) just wear 2 - diapers, huh? I guess it was the 70's....