This was posted by a friend on Facebook yesterday. He clearly doesn't think highly of Christians, as evidenced by earlier posts. How would you answer this?
"Jesus said to give everything you have to the poor and spend the rest of your days worshiping God (Luke 12:33). If you do not do what Jesus is telling you here, are you in fact disobeying God? If you believe it is possible to lead a fruitful, middle-class life (complete with an SUV and remodeled kitchen) and still follow the word of God, please let me know how. Also, include the Bible verse to back up your claim so I don't think you are making this up."
7 comments:
I wouldn't even grace that hatred with an answer. Some people just want to start a fight and it isn't worth it.
Good answer form The Kings
I believe in that particular verse Jesus was speaking to a single person- not everyone. I do know that we are to love others and to give freely of what we have been blessed with. I have learned from experience that the more freely I give, the more I am blessed in return.
The verse he cited reads "Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth."
First, it is obvious he is trying to pick a fight. Who is he to judge anyone anyway? I wouldn't really engage this as it is obviously not going to have a good outcome.
Second, I do believe people, even Christians, are getting caught up in the temporal parts of things. I know too many who have WAY more wants than needs, and are not generous to those less fortunate. If you need the big SUV go for it, if not and its a status symbol, then you shouldn't have it. We should, in fact be putting more treasure in things of a spiritual nature. I could go on and on but I won't.
Lastly, we as Christians believe in trying to do all that Christ asks but we often fall short. We are human. There is a progression to perfection. We keep trying, and that is what HE asks for.
I actually answered his question to the best of my ability, but his response indicated that he was looking to pick a fight so I restricted him on Facebook. I was curious to know what others would say to know if I was on track or not. I think I was, because a lot of what Christine and Karen said is the same as what I told him. And then I took Nicole and Katie's advice and just stopped engaging him. My dad always used to say "you can't reason with a drunk."
Another way of dealing with those kind of questions is to throw it back in the form of a question.
I think you Dad is smart about the drunk thing... :)
The day after I read this post I randomly opened my scriptures to Micah 6:6-8. It was highlighted so I read it. It says the Lord does not require great temporal offerings. What is required is to do justly, love mercy, and to walk humbly with God. Sounds simple- but I am sure it will take me more than a lifetime to even come close. I better get working on it.
Post a Comment