Thursday, September 22, 2011

Scare of my life!

Today, I took Maggie to JC Penney with me. I had a $10 off coupon, and then I heard that there were sales of up to 80% off. I was looking on the clearance racks, when I came to a point that I couldn't push Maggie's stroller to the other side. I left her on one end of the rack, walked around it, and when I came back she wasn't there. And when I say I walked around, that's all I did. I didn't stop to look at anything or take anything off the rack. It took a total of about 30 seconds. I started panicking, running up and down the racks trying to find her. I didn't see her anywhere, so I started screaming, "Someone took my baby! Help me! Someone took my baby!" Everyone in the store just looked at me like I was on crack. Nobody offered to help me. None of the employees did anything. I started running up and down the aisles again, when a woman yelled, "There's a baby right here!" I went over and it was Maggie. About 4 racks away from the one I was looking at. How did she get there in that little amount of time without me seeing anything? Someone moved her. I don't know if she was moved so that a person could get past her, or if someone tried to take her and stopped when I started screaming. All I could do when the lady found her was pick her up and start sobbing. I was so glad that she was there and nothing was wrong with her.

My mom said she had a similar experience with me at JC Penney, except I was about 3 years old and it turned out I was hiding between the clothes so that she couldn't find me. She said she almost passed out from the fear that someone took me. Now I get why some parents put their kids on a leash. I'm going to put the stroller on a leash so that never happens again.

7 comments:

Katie said...

scary!

Diane said...

I'm shocked nobody did anything at JCPenny.

Jacob was probably three when he disappeared at a Target checkout stand while I was paying, less then 20 seconds. The employees immediately called a code "Adam" (missing child) over the PA system/walkie talkies and all the employees started hunting him down. I wanted to go look in the isles to see if he ran off but smartly they had me stand at the exit to identify Jacob if he was leaving the store with someone while the employees searched everywhere else. After a few minutes of frantic searching, Jacob came running out of the bathroom saying so proudly' "Look Mom, I washed my hands all by myself." He had run off to the bathroom by himself. Of course, I was relieved to find him safe.

I have to admit I was impressed by the action from the store employees. It was like they had practiced a code "Adam" and each just fell into their parts.

Diane said...

I am very grateful she is safe!!!

Christine said...

From past experience I can say that there is nothing scarier than not knowing where your child is. What a frightening experience. I can't believe no one tried to help!

Cheryl said...

I know that panicky feeling, it's terrible! I'm so glad everything turned out okay!

Unknown said...

First of many times I am sure! :)

Casey&Mal said...

That is so traumatizing!!!! I am so sorry! Were you at PTown Mall? Cause that might be the first mistake....LOL! Oh, and I DO put my kid on a leash....it has a monkey on his back....

Also - love the year in pics. Maggie is adorable! And I am REALLY sad to say, I see where your sis is coming from on the Vern Troyer photo...so funny!!!!!!

Glad to see you're back! I always love the way you tell a story.