Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Stuff White People Like


I'm a nerd, I realize this. So, if you are sensitive to nerdiness, please be warned that this post is going to be chock-full of it and feel free to exit early.
My friends, Katie and Marc, introduced me to this site called "Stuff White People Like," and then my friend Mallory (who is only half-white) told me about it and I have been addicted ever since. I think one of the reasons that Mallory likes this site it because one of the things that white people like is Asian girls, and she is part Asian. I digress...
I visited this site today to see if there had been any further updates since I last checked and had an awesome idea while I was reading it. I am going to be a "Stuff White People Like" white person for Halloween. I am going to come up with a costume that represents the most "white" person I can come up with, one that includes all of the stereotypes like driving a Prius, buying only organic food, wearing a scarf, an old sweater and running shoes, talking about San Francisco, eating an expensive sandwich, remembering my days being "poor," etc. I'm looking for ideas, so if you have any please post them.
This is the post that inspired me http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/06/27/104-girls-with-bangs/. I am a white girl, and I have been known to wear my bangs straight down before. Here is a little snapshot of the post:
"If you see a white woman and you are trying to figure out whether she is liked or just merely tolerated by white people, the best thing you can do is get a quick look at her haircut. It is a known fact that white people love women who wear their hair with bangs that hang straight down... When you are introduced to a group of white people, it’s a good idea to befriend the girl with the bangs. She’s probably the most popular." Classic!

6 comments:

Adam said...

You know, I'm sorry but I have to speak out against this site.

It was clever the first time I saw it, but as it has evolved it has become lame lame lame. The guy (or girl--whoever writes it) tries way too hard and ends up coming off as fake and seriously unfunny.

Most of the stuff he writes is way too obscure, and isn't even true. It's like he has one or two friends that have little quirks, and then he projects that onto an entire race.

I know I'm striking at the very foundations of those who follow this blog religiously, but I feel I must speak my mind.

Unknown said...

Nice. Jenn, that's you!

Casey&Mal said...

Yay! I'm so glad you joined the Stuff White People Like group on Facebook - You are absolutely correct about the Asian thing. However, I also feel like being 1/2 Asian 1/2 White, I can relate to both worlds. I can appreciate shows like 'I Survived a Japanese Game Show' and still love Stuff White People Like.
I LOVE your Halloween idea!!!

JMadd said...

In answer to Adam... everything he writes about is very typical of white people who live in So. Cal, which is probably why I relate. I can say I know some white person who fits every category he has written about. True, he is running out of ideas and maybe not as funny as he used to be, but he's probably been spending so much time writing his book that he hasn't actually had time to focus on the blog.

The awesome thing about America is that we are all free to speak our minds, so I have to disagree with you that it's lame. True, his stereotypes do not fit white people in Happy Valley but get outside and you'll start to notice people who fit his descriptions.

mindy said...

ha ha ha!! I love that site, too. Thanks for reminding me to check it out again.

Rachie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.