This blog post is going to be kind of a random one. I was at the post office today, when the fire alarm went off and they evacuated the building. It turned out to be a false alarm and they told us we could go back in, and since I needed some stamps pronto, I went back in. Later on I was reading an article on men's fashion (so I can have some ammunition to convince Rob to get rid of the pleated-front pants), and there was a poll in the article of what kind of man in uniform most women like. Firefighter won by a huge margin. I agree that firemen are pretty smokin', no pun intended. So, those two things led me to this blog post.
Back in '98, I was living in the Regency Apartments, just south of BYU campus. It was a Friday night and I was in a lame mood, so I decided to go to bed early. My roommate, Liz, had done the same thing. I had been in bed for probably 2 hours when I heard my bedroom door fly open and smelled something smokey. I bolted up in bed and saw the most surreal image I've ever seen. Silhouetted in the dark, smokey doorway was a huge firefighter in full garb. I honestly thought I was dreaming and that it was the best dream I'd ever had in my life. What girl hasn't dreamt that a firefighter just busted into her bedroom? Anyhoo... I was really groggy and couldn't quite understand what he was saying to me, so he walked closer to me and started to pull me out of my bed. As he was shoving me out into the smokey hallway, he asked me if there was anyone else in the house. I told him that my roommate was asleep in the back bedroom. He told me that our apartment was on fire and that I needed to wake my roommate up. I went back to Liz's room and started shaking her to wake her up. She yelled and hit me, and so the fireman had to come in and get her.
He led us through the smoke-filled kitchen and out the door, where we saw our entire apartment complex staring at us, including our other roommates. The firefighters went back in and started poking around and our roommates filled us in on the situation. They came home and saw smoke coming out of the windows and front door, so they called 911. They didn't know we were home. After a while, this lady firefighter came out and told us it was safe to go back in. It smelled really bad in there, but it was pretty obvious that there hadn't been a fire. The lady started to explain to us that the motor in the furnace had blown out and just caused a lot of smoke to be blown through the vents. Since Liz and I had our doors and vents closed, we didn't smell anything. I guess the fire lady felt like she needed to explain to us how they deduced that there was no fire, so she whipped out her heat sensor and started showing us how they checked all of the walls to make sure the wiring hadn't caught on fire. Nothing happened when she pointed it at the walls. But then she pointed it it a light bulb and the sensor started going crazy with beeping. Liz was still totally asleep, but she said to the lady, "point it at Jen, she's hot." Fire lady didn't think that was funny. Crickets.
After fire lady showed us that every nook and cranny in the apartment was safe, they left and we all went to bed. What is the moral of this story? There isn't one... except that firemen are hot. And apparently, so am I.
P.S. I wouldn't recommend doing an image search for firemen on Google. And especially don't do it at work while people are walking past your desk. The only ones decent enough to post were old man firefighters and children dressed up like firemen.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Oh the good old days!
Jen, I seriously almost wet my pants laughing at your blog. It was the most random and funniest blog yet. And your roommate is right, you are hot. :-) Miss you.
Why have I never heard this story before?? SO funny!!
I was laughing so much at this blog too, and like Christine, why haven't I heard this story before?! Or maybe I did and I just have a really really bad memory! Most days I do feel like I've lost my mind!
Post a Comment