Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Forgive me Craigslist, for I have sinned.


Ever since we bought our awesome china cabinet on Craigslist, I got this great idea that we didn't have to give our crap to DI, but that we could actually get some money for it. When I was growing up, we never had garage sales or anything like that to get rid of junk, we just always gave it to DI. I don't know whay that was. Maybe it was a time constraint thing. Both of my parents worked and doing a garage sale probably took too much time. But secretly, I think it's because some of the uppity neighbors would have complained that it brought too much traffic to the street, or the wrong kind of traffic, if you know what I mean. Anyhoo, we just gave old stuff to DI.


After going to Craigslist and seeing all of the junk that people put on there and actually think someone else will buy, I decided that was the best idea ever. We put our old entertainment center on there and it was gone in about 2 hours. We sold our old, non-digital ready, 27" TV on there. I've listed a circa 1978 chandelier and some track lighting, but no one seems to want that. Normally, we would have taken all of this stuff to DI. So, last week we bought a new couch for our family room because it was time to get rid of the pink monstrosity that we were using as a couch. Really, it was just something to sit on. So, we debated about whether we could really sell it or whether it was a straight to DI thing. I decided that some sucker might buy it for $40. After almost a week, no suckers were interested so I lowered the price to $20. And guess what, a sucker called. All of the people that have inquired about our stuff are college-aged males, and so was this guy. He said that he wanted to come over and look at it, so we set up a time.


Last night, this guy and his child bride came over to take a look-see at the pink thing, and decided they wanted to buy it. I described the couch as having good upholstery and padding that was still in tact, but that it had some dirt on it. They decided that they could put a slip cover on it and it would be just fine. As they were carrying it out, I noticed a huge black strip of what I thought was dirt on the back, when I realized that it was actually a ton of cat hair. I also noticed that some of the fabric had ripped in the back. I almost stopped them so that I could lint roll the cat hair off, and to point out the ripped fabric, but I didn't. I just took their money and let them walk out the door. I'm terrible. But, I did mention that it was sold as is, and really it is the burden of the buyer to check things out before they purchase, right? I still feel really bad about it.

6 comments:

foreverlaym said...

All I have to say is "buyer beware." I wouldn't worry about it.

Anonymous said...

For $20 need not worry... They were going to put a slip cover on it right, so it really doesn't matter if you mentioned it or not. You get what you pay for, right?

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

Twenty bucks for a couch? Great deal! Have you been to DI recently and found out just how hard it is to find a decent piece of furniture. Yes, they come and go, but a higher power has to intervene so you'll be there at just the right time to get the great deal.

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

Well I guess craigslist makes us all sinners. Today I was at the DI and I found a very nice Learning Tower. I cleaned it and bought a screw that it was missing and now I am going to put it on craigslist to sell it at a VERY large profit (they are $180 brand new). Oh well why not make money, really you are just helping out the economy.

Casey&Mal said...

HAHAHA!!!! So I totally do the same thing...but with KSL. Don't feel bad. Any couch for $20 is a steal and what gives if they're going to put a slip cover on it? The slip cover will probably cost twice as much as the couch itself! Well done, my dear. Well done.

Chit Chatt said...

Mark and I are fans of the craigslist. We're currently looking for a high chair for Jane. Maybe I should be worried about buying a high chair with cat hair all over it.