Friday, January 29, 2010

Resolution Re-Cap

Remember when I said that one of my only resolutions for this new year was to be nicer? Yeah, me too. I remember this because even though I'm trying, it's not going very well. My mouth has gotten me into more trouble this week than I can even count on both hands. I might as well write a copy of "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People." I'm not joking. And the thing is, I don't even try to be mean. Do I come by it naturally? Perhaps.

I'm taking a class right now called Modern American Usage. Mostly we do nerdy stuff like read dictionaries and discuss whether one can/may use further when farther is actually what is called for. Very nerdy. People argue in class. Even nerdier. Or should I use more nerdy? I don't know, let me consult my dictionaries. Anyway, the other day we talked about dialects and how they evolve. One of the specific dialects we discussed was Yiddish. Although Yiddish is mostly dead as a dialect - only a handful of people still speak it- it has now evolved into what is called American Jewish. Anyway, even though the dialect has died many words still stick around. I bet you didn't know it, but tush is yiddish for bottom. Yiddish is also a very sarcastic and sardonic dialect, and the sacrasm has lived on in people, who although may not speak Yiddish, still speak in the same manner in which Yiddish is spoken. I could write a paper about it, but I won't. I guess the point is that this sarcasm is learned... it's a trait passed down through generations where ancestors spoke Yiddish. This led me to think that perhaps I am the way that I am because of my ancestors. I'm not aware of any Jewish heritage in my line, but then again, until the day my grandmother went to her grave, she swore up and down that she was 100% Irish Catholic. She's not only rolling over in her grave right now, but I'm sure she's having one heck of a time fraternizing with her 100% German ancestors in Spirit Prison. I need to research this line, because if there's German there may be Jewish in there, too.

Still, I shouldn't be following the traditions of my fathers. Right? I need to teach my mouth and my brain to work differently. And since I only know of 2, maybe 3 people in this world who actually like me for my frankness and sarcasm, perhaps now is a good time to change. A good friend always quotes someone's dead grandma by saying "There are three doors: Truth, kindness, and necessity. Everything you say must go through at least two of the three doors. Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?" This needs to be my motto from now on. This will be my motto from now on.

To any I've offended with my words this week, please forgive me and know that I'm trying to do better. I really am. I started yesterday, but then today my mouth got me into trouble again. I used a bad Yiddish word in class, ecxept I didn't know it was that bad. Baby steps, right?

2 comments:

Karen Decker said...

So you think there are only 1-2 other people, besides me, who appreciates your frankness?

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

You are not alone. Some days I think to myself it would be good to be nice for just one day. Habits are difficult to break. I am just really glad that my husband is one of those nice people who doensn't have a mean bone in his body, I keep rubbing him in hopes that some of it will rub off onto me.