I read an article today that talked about European sanctions on chlorinated chicken imported form the US. Um, what? I didn't know that chicken was chlorinated. The article stated that the sanctions aren't so much about the safety of the chicken, but more about the taste. In a taste test group, chlorinated chicken and non-chlorinated chicken taste the same initially, but once re-heated the chlorinated chicken has a more "re-heated" taste. So if this isn't grossing you out enough already, the article then talked about why and how chicken is chlorinated. Back in the 1990's when there were a lot of e. Coli breakouts, the FDA decided that after killing, plucking, and gutting the chickens that they should be soaked in big vats of freezing cold water mized with chlorine to keep bacteria from growing or cross-contamination.
So, this entire week I have been smelling chlorine whenever I turn on the shower or the bathroom sink. At first I thought that my roommate cleaned with bleach, but that smell should go away after a day at the most. I grew up in LA and smelling a little chlorine in the water was par for the course, but this water smelled like someone dumped a bottle.. nay, several bottles... of Clorox into the water supply. Other than it smelling bad, I didn't think anything about bathing in it or drinking until I read this statement from the above mentioned article:
"That distinctive pool smell usually attributed to chlorine is actually produced by the combination of chlorine and perspiration, body oils, and urine."
Gag me with a spoon!!! Urine??? Needless to say, I'm pretty sicked out.
I guess it brings a whole new meaning to "European."
Friday, August 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
that's horrifying...
another point for veganism, in my book. too bad i have no self control.
So...conveniently, being prego, I've not wanted and hardly eaten meat at all - and then I went to visit casey's brother and his wife in NYC - they recently became vegetarians.
First so they could lose some weight, and then they heard about the sick cows being pushed into meat production with fork lifts - and THEN...they heard about the KFC Chickens...
I don't know if it's all true, I'm still researching it myself...but from what he said, they pump the chickens so full of horomones to make them fat and juicy, that their legs break and they're in pain or can't walk around at all and just lay there being flat. And if you've ever heard the term "hen-pecked", you'll know that they peck at each other a lot...so they clip off the ends of their beaks!!!! (que psycho music now)
Needless to say, I've incorporated more dairy protein products into my diet and eat a lot of tofu...no more meat for me...except when I just have to have it. But my concious efforts are against the meat.
And now, I have one more reason to avoid poultry. Except on Thanksgiving...
I'm not about to become a vegetarian, but I probably won't be re-heating my chicken.
Wanna know something lame? You have seen Chit Chatt numero dos, but her own BROTHER has not. Nor has he received the promised follow-up phone call with the name of said numero dos. I think that is lame. Like Churros Ole lame. I would post this on her blog, but she does not check it. And I am too smarmy to call.
Post a Comment