Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The itsy-bitsy spider...


Crawled on my foot and bit the heck out of me! See exhibit A to your left. There are 2 of them and they're huge, purple/red, itchy, and painful. Check out the swelling and redness of the remainder of the foot. I've always prided myself on the fact that I never had cankles, which is probably why I'm sporting just one now. At first, I thought it was a mosquito bite, but then it started acting like a mosquito bite on crack! I've never had an itch that bad in my life. I called a Nurse Practitioner friend of mine on Monday night because I started to worry a little about the swelling and redness and she told me to watch it and if it got worse in the next 24 hours to head to the doctor. I still wasn't worried enough to go, when I found this one on my arm. And when I woke up this morning it had stuff coming out of it. Whenever "stuff" is involved, I head straight to the doctor. So in I went, and when I lifted up my pant leg to show the nurse, she gasped and jumped back a little. Granted, it was her first day on the job. She said "it looks like you got bit by an animal and not a bug." Yes it does, sister.
My trusty PA, Todd, came in and took a lookey and saw fang marks on the one on my arm, so that is definitely from a spider, but he couldn't see fangs on the foot. He's guessing the bites are from the same source. All three are infected, which explains the redess/hotness/itchiness/pain, so he hooked me up with the antibiotics and an ointment of some sort. While we're on the subject of "ointment," I just have to mention that the word is on my top 10 list of words I don't like, along with "moist."
I'll keep you, my loyal readers, abreast of my healing progress - if you're not too grossed out by the pictures. I need these wounds to be gone in 23 days, or I may look like a battered bride.
P.S. I am turning into my grandmother. She liked to take pictures of everyone's scars/incisions/bumps/bruises/surgeries etc. and show everyone who came to her house. Luckily for Grandpa, she decided she didn't need pictures of his prostate surgery. She also kept track of everyone's menstrual cycles on her calendar that hung in the kitchen. May she rest in peace.

3 comments:

kenzor said...

Those pictures aren't too bad. I have spent the last 2 weeks in Oral Surgery rotation and well, seeing someone's oral mucosa sliced open and peeled back to cut a tooth directly out of the mandible... now that is awesome. Anyway, I hope the moist ointment works out for you!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

girl, that is crazy! i'm crossing my fingers that they'll be gone soon for ya...if not there is always photoshop, right? :)

Unknown said...

So that was from a spider! Gross! And I am a witness to at least the first round of how icky it looked!