Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Your Tax Dollars at Work

The hubs and I got our property tax bill/whatever it's called in the mail yesterday and I said to him, "because we pay this, some little kiddies will be able to go to school and learn." He replied, "not our kiddies." And I said, "not yet." How interesting that I should see this yesterday. It's rich... and not in a chocolate/Donald Trump sort of way. My friend, Chit Chatt, got this from her sister. Apparently, this flyer was sent home from school with one of the kids. I just don't know what to say other than "OMG'ness!" I sure hope that this isn't a reflection of the edumacation that our children are getting in the public school system.



So, here's the question: Is the "g" in stanger a hard or soft "g?" Actually, I have several questions. Is a "Parent" better than a "parent?" If there's a "last," where's the "first?" I didn't know that "toss" was in. Now it's "out." My friend Becky pointed out that any kids who are of the age to be Trick-or-Treating probably don't know what the word "tamper" means. My assessment is that the person who wrote this, judging by their spelling, punctuation and grammar, probably doesn't know what the word "tamper" means, either. I thought that with the advent of spell check that egregious errors like this couldn't exist anymore. I mean, really................. I think it's better to be safe then sorry and use spell check. Yep, you read correctly. If you're safe, then you're sorry. In that case, I think it's probably better to throw caution, and this flyer, to the wind. OK, I'm going to stop because all of this "proofreading" is making my brain hurt.


Disclaimer: I know several teachers, a few of whom read this blog. You guys are doing a great job! I can't vouch for any of the others out there, but you guys are awesome............................

8 comments:

JMadd said...

I forgot to point out one of my favorite mistakes in this flyer. Is it a "safty tip," a "trick" or a "treaters?" Is "safty" like "crafty?" OK, gotta go because my pet's need to be fed.

Shorty said...

My son had a teacher one year who let the parents that volunteered in the classroom type things up for her. One such promo for a classroom party had several lovely typos, too. I was baffled the teacher let it go out like that, but hey...the teacher wasn't one of our favorites, so we just had a chuckle amongst ourselves at her expense.

Katie said...

Aghhhhh! And to think my students get upset when I demand good grammar skills from them. THIS IS WHY!!!

Cheryl said...

I was also thinking that maybe a parent volunteer typed it up, like from the PTO or something. But still, as a teacher, I would have been horrified to send it home like that! I probably would have retyped it myself and then sent it home! Yikes!
I also like the "pathway's" and if your candy is bad "toss is out"!

Christine said...

That's awful!! Before we were able to send anything home with the kids we had to have another person spell check it, just in case. Obviously not the case here.

Karen Decker said...

Send it back to the teacher/school with the corrections in red and a big 'F' at the top.

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

That is funny. I would comment but I know that I have poor grammar. thank you for sharing this it is funny.

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

Okay, so I'm finally getting around to reading your blog. I'm a bit paranoid now. You probably read mine and notice all my grammar issues. My father, who is now 88 pointed out one or two to me so far. I guess I'm in for a good grammar lesson now that you're in the family! Ha, Ha!!!