We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. - The 12th Article of Faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day SaintsI did not vote for Barack Obama, but I will support him as President of the United States.
Having said that I did not vote for him, and would rather have had someone else in office, I couldn't help but to become emotional as I watched the inaugural proceedings. I live in the best country in the world! A country where I have the right and priveledge to vote for whom I please, the right to practice my religion, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I am grateful for those who have gone before me who gave their lives in protection of the freedoms that I now enjoy.
I appreciate George Bush's service to our country. I think that he is a good man, but due to a lot of difficult things that happened during his presidency, he's been given a bad rap. I think people, especially the media, need to be reminded that this country operates on a system of checks and balances so that no one branch of the government has complete power. People are looking for a scapegoat to blame for this country's problems and George Bush is it.
Change is good. Hope is good. And I hope that Barack Obama can be a force for change in this country.
OK. I couldn't let this post go by without just mentioning this part of the Inauguration. Rev. Lowery's benediction. Did he really just say "....help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."


6 comments:
Yes Jen he did say that. Some people say that the end of his prayer was more memorable then the speach Pres. Obama gave.
I agree with you, I did not vote for him nor do I agree with his stand on certain issues such as abortion and marriage but I also love this country and I am proud of the men and woman who have fought and do fight everyday for my freedom and safety. I truely am blessed to live in this great land.
Thank you for your post.
I completely agree, well said!
One can just hope that the benediction sentiments towards the white race (i.e. a lot of whom make up conservative America) aren't indicative of the coming 4 years.
Amen to everything you just said! I felt a little bad for Pres. Bush today, I almost thought I heard people booing him when he entered the stand. I appreciate his service and all he has done for our country. And though I also don't agree with Obama's positions, I recognize the signficance of today, and hope his administration is guided.
And I thought the ending of that prayer was also a little weird, and is it implying because I'm white that I'm a racist, or that it's my fault for any wrong-doing? That I don't know what is right?What if a white preacher said that about a black person? Just my thoughts...
Amen and Amen.
Just a fun little background on that poem near the end of the benediction...
It's an old taunt that was chanted by white racists in the south towards blacks, "if you're black get back, if you're brown stick around, if you're yellow stay mellow, and if you're white you're all right." Sort of like a nasty playground chant. When referring to "yellow" they are talking about those of mixed race, often mulattos were called "high yellow." Interesting choice to use it, and it's not really in the mainstream. I just know it from my various studies in AA history.
I'm glad you are choosing to respect the new president. I read too many blogs where on one hand Bush is expected to be respected (as he should be), but then BO is bashed. Doesn't make much sense!
Oh, and to speak to another commenter- there are plenty of well to do, African American conservatives. And tons of liberal, democratic whites. It's a common misconception that many/all of black people are democratic. Not so.
Ok, just my two cents.
Post a Comment