My mom always told me that if you eat too late at night, especially chocolate, that you'll have funky dreams. I don't know that I ever noticed it, probably because I'm so hungry when I get home from work, that it never really gets to that point.
Anyway, I went to dinner with my friend, Tonya, last Friday night because we both have the same birthday and my husband was up in the woods throwing logs, starting fires, and dutch-oven cooking. I think they call that "camping." So, she came down here from Salt Lake and we went to Tucanos because I had a complimentary birthday dinner coupon and I love meat. We mostly went because I love meat. For those of you who are familiar with the dining situation in Provo on a Friday or Saturday night, you know that unless you go to dinner at 4:30 with the Senior Citizens, you're probably not going to get into a restaurant until at least 8. It was a little after 8 when we were finally seated, but for some reason the meat sword guys were avoiding our table. They must have thought "those are girls, and girls don't like meat, so they're probably here for the salad bar." Whatever! By the time I flagged down a meat sword guy, it was about 8:30. Needless to say, it was pretty late by the time we were finished.
I went home and was really restless as I was trying to sleep. It could have been that I was missing my husband (which I kinda did), or it could have been that there were a lot of sirens going off outside, and being that I live in the ghetto, I was a little scared. I finally fell asleep, but boy did I have an interesting dream.
In this dream, Ray Manzarek (he's the guy who played keyboards for The Doors) was telling me that Posh and David Beckham were getting divorced. I was so upset by this that I think I was actually crying in my sleep. I don't know why I was upset because that's just weird. Anyway Ray Manzarek, who's name was actually Pete in my dream, told me that he would cheer me up by playing a song on the keyboard for me. He played that really long section of "Light My Fire". Then my mom popped in and told me that the reason why that section of the song was so long and it was just music, was that Jim Morrison was so hopped up on goofballs that he couldn't remember the words. So if that's not weird enough, Eric D. Snider (he used to write a humor column for the BYU Daily Universe when I was a student there, and we were in some classes together in the communications department) comes in and says he wants to write a movie review on the film that I submitted to Sundance. Then he suggested that we should all go to Burger King (and by "all" I mean me, my mom, Ray "Pete" Manzarek, and Eric D. Snider). I think I ordered a Whopper, but that part is kind of fuzzy. While we were at the BK, B-Money (a Provo "rapper", who Rob thinks is actually special and so I shouldn't make fun of him anymore) walks in and starts rapping for us. Then Ray Manzarek whips out a little Casio keyboard and starts accompanying B-Money. Next thing I know, I told everyone that I had to go feed the cat before Rob got home and I was out the door. When I got to the house, Val Kilmer was at the mailbox picking up his mail and we exchanged some niceties and I went in to feed the cat. That's when I woke up and the cat was sitting next to my head and she was purring really loudly.
OK. So it was weird. But, I can explain all of it. Earlier that week, I saw something on TV about Posh and Becks. And then that same day I read a review of Sundance that Eric D. Snider wrote and he mentioned Ray Manzarek and Burger King in his review. When I was younger, I actually asked my mom why The Doors had such long sections in their songs with no singing, and she gave me the exact answer as what she said in my dream. And whenever I think of Burger King, I automatically think of B-Money. And I actually saw him walking down the street the other day with a Sony Discman in one hand and a stack of CDs in the other, and I thought to myself, "B-Money really ought to upgrade to an iPod." Val Kilmer played Jim Morrison in that movie about The Doors, so that's where he came from. And the cat, well, she was sitting next to my head purring loudly. In real life.
So I think my mom's advice about not eating late is something that I'm actually going to follow from now on. I didn't like my Tucanos-induced meat trip dream, and I don't want to have one again.
What are some of your strangest dreams? Enquiring minds want to know, so leave a comment.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
You know how I feel about Tucanos. All I can say is, "PULL OVER!!!!"
Are you sure they weren't serving acid at Tucanos instead of meat?
My strangest dreams involve being back in jr. high, not being able to unlock my locker, not finding my classes, my teeth falling out, and being mostly naked. I'll spare you the details!
I would love to have weird dreams. Mine are more boring than C-SPAN, as evidenced here.
Never had Eric Snider in my dreams (thank goodness). Most of my dreams now involve being lost or knowing something was wrong but not being able to figure out what. My weirdest dream involved a buffalo, a hot air balloon and a children's choir chanting.
Luckily I seldom remember my dreams. One afternoon when I was really little (younger than 8) I had fallen asleep in the afternoon after a long day at school. I remember there was a very large and angry tomato yelling rude things at me. He came at me and splattered right in front of me. That's when I woke up. I was being called in to set the table for dinner. I didn't eat that night. It was spagetti in red sauce.
Then there was another dream from when I was little which invloved a mom with a big club shaped wooden foot, kisses her hubby and two sons goodbye at the front porch. She walks down the side walk to a worker guy who was in cement. She tries to take a long pole from the worker guy. Then she kisses him. In the process of kissing the guy she lifts her wooden foot up behind her and a crocodile crawls up and locks his jaws on her humungous foot. In my mind I still hear the crunch of the alligator teeth on that stupid ladies foot.
See why I am so grateful that I seldom remember my dreams?
Post a Comment