Thursday, January 15, 2009

XX or XY

My friend Mallory taught me this game called XX or XY, where you try to guess the gender of gender ambiguous people out in public. I don't really get to play this game very often, except for maybe every once in a while at the Springville Wal-Mart.

Today at work, one of my co-workers gave me the opportunity to play the game. She sends me this email with a link to an article and asks me, "do you think this editor is a guy or a girl?" I open up the link and my first impression is that it is a woman. A woman with an ambiguous Mullet-like haircut, but looks like a woman because of the business suit she's wearing... or is that a man's oxford shirt. I just couldn't tell. So before I emailed my co-worker back, I decided to do a little Internet investigation to see if I could ascertain the person's gender before I got back with a verdict.

Ususally, magazine Web sites will have a bio page of all of the authors and editors, where pronouns such as "he" or "she" are often used to describe the individual. Did this magazine have a bio page? No, it did not. Strike one! My next resource was a PR database thingy we use at work that lists a lot of contacts for different media organizations. Usually, before the individual's name, there is a prefix like "Ms." or "Mr." Out of every editor and author at this magazine, this person was the only one without a title in front of it's name. Which brings me to this... the person's name. It's Layne. That could be a guy or a girl.

I'm at a loss. I peek my head up over the cube and whisper to my co-worker, "probably a woman. A very manly woman, but probably a woman." She stands up and says to me, that's what I thought, but I called it on the phone and it sounds like a man. That just adds more confusion. My grandmother, may she rest in peace, sounded like a man on the phone because she had chronic bronchitis. Another co-worker often gets mistaken for a teenage girl on the phone. He is an adult man. So, you never can tell. We had a few good laughs about "It's Pat" and then both sat back down in our cubes. But the thing is, it's been bothering me all day. XX or XY?

I'd post a picture and do a poll, but I don't want to jeopardize my employment or the reputatation of my company. I'll e-mail you a picture if you just can't stand it.

6 comments:

Nathan said...

I seriously do get mistaken for a girl on the phone. I get called ma'am all the time. People always tell me they're surprised by that, but I know they're just being nice (or at least trying to deflect an uncomfortable conversation).

I call it getting Ma'am-ed.

Justinthetwin said...

Please send me an email!

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

I want to see the picture. I love guessing games.

Chit Chatt said...

I love that game! I'm still wondering about Tracy Chapman. XX or XY?

Casey&Mal said...

Send me the pic!!!!

Usually when I talk to people on the phone, they know immediately that I'm a woman. Although, sometimes I'll talk to someone on the phone at work (usually a foreigner) and then they'll email me right after our conversation saying "dear sir"...wtf???? I clearly sound like a woman...or do I sound like a man from India?

Anonymous said...

I'll give it a try:) Please send me the email. Hey thanks!