Monday, April 27, 2009

Oxymoronical

I went to St. George this weekend (hereafter referred to as "The George") to visit my BFF Robyn. Here are some highlights:

1) Robyn's baby is one of the cutest babies on the planet and she does cute things like wave when you say "hi." She also has cute cheeks.

2) Robyn's nephew Maddux always gives me the best welcome to The George. He seems more excited to see me than my own nephew does... and he told me my purse was "nice." I got to go to Pirate Island with him and all of the family to celebrate his mom getting a job.

3) The weather in The George was warmer than it was in Provo. It was still cold and a little rainy, but not as cold as Provo.

4) I went to Krumpets and spent too much on cute stuff for my house, that will probably just go in a box with the rest of the cute stuff I've bought for my house. I'm waiting to decorate until the house is painted. Not much longer, folks. Not much longer.

5) I think I won a round of Skee Ball at Pirate Island... but Heather and Robyn won the other rounds. Skee Ball rocks! When was the last time you played Skee Ball?

6) Went to Target and found a fashionable/modest swimsuit and saw the craziest thing ever, which inspired the title of this post. Robyn's mom knows how I'm always on the lookout for polygamists and Amish people (don't ask... I just get a kick out of seeing them in public), so she pointed out some polygamist ladies walking into Target. I didn't know they shopped there. But the awesome thing was that one of the ladies was wearing HUGE WHITE SUNGLASSES!
Do you think she knows that Paris wears HUGE WHITE SUNGLASSES? Do you think she even knows who Paris is? She probably has no idea and doesn't even care, but I thought it was pretty oxymoronical. The sighting was pretty much the biggest highlight of the trip, other than seeing my friends, of course!
Worst part of the trip? Tripping and falling after stepping on a crack while walking out of Pirate Island. More embarassing than anything else, but my hip hurts a little. I'm still not sure how I managed to not break a bone. If anything, my clumsiness has taught me not to fight the fall. Just let it happen and try to roll when you hit the ground. That would explain how I wound up flat on my back, facing the opposite direction from where I was walking. Of course my fall drew a crowd and this one woman tried to make me feel better by telling me that she tripped because of all of the "flashing lights" inside Pirate Island. And then a really old... er, mature guy offered to help me up from the ground. I lied and told him I was "just fine" so that I could save him from embarassment and myself from further embarassment when he couldn't get me off the ground because he was so fragile. Good times.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Bob's brother lives down there near 'The George'. Sometimes when we go visit we go for a drive to Colorado City where all the polygs live...it's crazy there but sounds like you'd be into it Jen! Before all the media attention you could see people out all over the place in their little town, but now they've got all their houses and schools and stores boarded up. It's a crazy place. One time we went in to the grocery store and I was wearing shorts and a sweatshirt, I've never stuck out like a sore thumb so much before in my life! But anyway, if you don't want to go that far out of The George, just go to Walmart...they're everywhere there too!
And BTW it's been forever since I played Skee Ball, but now I feel like it!

Casey&Mal said...

Sad for the falling...but awesome for the polygamy sighting! I have yet to see the Amish or polygamist in public. However, I did watch the Oprah a few weeks ago where she went inside Neverland Ranch in TX. I guess they have different "styles" of prairie dresses and they even SWIM in them. The hair is a fashion statement, too....oh and what the heck could they need at Target?????

Karen Decker said...

I LOVE skee-ball!

foreverlaym said...

What about the jerky kid that pushed the button on my turn and ended up getting like 3 tickets instead of hitting the jackpot like I'm sure I would have!?!?!

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

Tuck and roll, thats a good idea, then you can tell everyone one you were just so excited about being at Pirate Island you were trying to be one. You are cool.

JMadd said...

Heather - I forgot about that little turn-stealing punk. Some people's kids!

Chit Chatt said...

I believe you beat me at Skee Ball. In fact, I didn't win at all! May I suggest that you and Rob should go to the arcade on your next date. Show him how cool those games really are! I'm so glad that you got to come down and visit me! I had such a great time, and I miss you already! Be sure to stay on top of cheap tickets to Denver so we can go shopping. YAY!