Friday, February 19, 2010

Expats

I'm not so sure how I feel about all of these Olympians renouncing citizenship in their country and seeking citizenship in another just so they can compete in the Olympics. Especially when one of them is a 15 year old girl who renounces her US Citizenship to be an ice dancer for the country of Georgia. Weigh in.

6 comments:

The King's said...

I agree I think it is a little extreme and how are they going to feel when their competition days are over? It is their choice I guess.

Katie said...

I've always thought this was shady.

foreverlaym said...

Okay, Phil and I have this discussion all of the time. I have a problem, more specifically, with athletes who live in the United States, play for a U.S. team, and make their money the "American way" and then go be an olympian for another country. Excuse me? So, you can be an American when you're playing basketball (or baseball, or hockey, or what-have-you), but now that it's the Olympics, you need to be a Georgian or a Czech or an African? I've got big issues. Big ones.

Heidi said...

I say if you really want to renounce your US citizenship and become a citizen of Georgia then go for it. We don't really need you around here anyway.

Unknown said...

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine said...

This irks me to no end!