If you know me well, you know that I hate improper usage and bad grammar. I also hate improper pronunciations. Now, I never use the word "hate" lightly, so you know that I have strong opinions if I'm using that word.
I was driving to work this morning and I heard a song come on the radio that I don't like, but I was too distracted by something going on in the lane next to me to turn the station. The song became background noise, but then I started listening to the words and I got road rage just from listening. First of all, the singer sang "was" where "were" should have been used. Common mistake, I know, but who says that grammar rules should be thrown out the window just because it's a pop song.
I know I'm right on my way to being a senior citizen. I might as well start popping the Geritol right now!
My other pet peeve is mispronunciation. I had a roommate who would say "asuage" as "a-sewage." It drove me nuts. My other pet peeve is when people sing the word "angel, " they say "an-gel" instead of "an-gul." Aaargh!
Anyway, I just had to rant about it.
Happy Halloween!
Friday, October 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
No wonder you and I are friends. Those kind of things drive me CRAZY! One of my peeves is "fustrated" instead of "frustrated".
What on earth is 'asuage'. And when would a person use it in a sentence?
I have to add my pet peeve... It REALLY bugs me when people say samish for sandwich. But the person I hear it most from is the guy I am married to. I love and adore him in spit of that itty-bitty fault. Love Karen
How about when people say "ofen" instead of "often"? I mean come on people...
Now I secretly know why you do not listen to country music because they are the biggest offenders of them all when it comes to misusing words in order to fit into a beat or rhyming pattern in a song!
Post a Comment