Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'm a bigot!

And you know what? I'm proud of it. If standing up for what is right is being bigoted, then I am all for it.

I was reading something that a "friend" posted on his Facebook page, when it occurred to me that I was the subject of his writings. In his post, he said that he had an old friend who was getting married and he was looking forward to going to her reception until he noticed on her Facebook profile that she supports Prop. 8. In his words, "how can I recognize and celebrate the marriage of someone who refuses to recognize my marriage?" And that's when he called me a bigot. At first I was shocked that such a word would come from his mouth, and that I would be the one he would call that. Then I felt that maybe I should call him and apologize for offending him. And then I felt at complete and total peace with being called a bigot. I believe that marriage between a man and a woman is the only marriage that is recognized by God and should be recognized by mankind. I will stand up for that and I will do everything within my power to support legislation stating such. And I am not ashamed of that stance.

I will be the first to admit that I do not understand why some people feel attraction towards the same sex. I do not love my friend any less because of the lifestyle he has chosen to live, and I do believe he has chosen it. I feel compassion for him, but not in an 'I feel so sorry for you' sort of way. I feel that he is a son of God and that Heavenly Father loves him very much. I respect his agency in making his choices, but I do not support his choice.

Since getting married, I have come to have a stronger testimony of "The Family: A Proclamation to the World", which states:

"The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.

"We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God’s eternal plan."

I know that the powers of procreation are sacred and am very mindful of the gravity of the commandment that those powers are only to be employed between husband and wife. I feel grateful for that knowledge.

Growing up in LA, you'd think that I would have been persecuted for my beliefs before. I was not. Most of my friends respected my beliefs and many looked to me as an example. How strange is it that the first religous persecution I have received happened in a state where the majority of the people hold the same beliefs as I do? Wow!

An old bishop of mine frequently talked about how there can be no fence-sitting when it comes to living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The right choice isn't always the popular one, but it's still the right choice. I mourn the loss of a friend, but rejoice in living the Gospel and following the Living Prophet.

So yes, I support Prop. 8. If I didn't, I'd be a coward and a hypocrite. And I'd rather be called a bigot any day over a coward or a hypocrite.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Way to go Jen! I agree with you. Since we are living in the Bay Area, things here are very heated when it comes to Prop 8. We really need to stand up for what's right even when its hard.

McCarthas said...

Yeah Amen was my first response. I am so glad that we have a loving heavenly father that loves us each and everyone of us. what a great example he is.

DontYouWishYouWereUS said...

I am so proud of you. Thank you for making your stance known. I appreciate seeing your courage as it gives me courage to stand for my belief in marriage being between one man and one woman. I often think how lucky Robert is to have found you and married you. He married above himself, its ok I can say that he's my brother.
I love you.