When Rob and I got engaged and were registering for gifts, we were told to pick out a china pattern at Bed Bath and Beyond. We looked through a book and chose something, but neither of us were super excited about it and didn't think anyone would buy us the china. We were right. No one bought us any china. I felt stupid having it on the registry because it made us look like pretentious social climbers, so I took it off and we instead elected to register for a more modestly priced set of "fine dishware" at JC Penney. The cost of the entire set equaled the cost of one place setting at BBB. We decided that if, after our receptions, no one bought the "fine dishware" that we would buy the set for ourselves. We didn't get it at any of our receptions, so we went online and got it for ourselves. It arrived last week, and after opening up the box, we realized we had no room - absolutely no room - to store the fine dishware.
A few days later, Rob mentioned that he thought we should get a china hutch to put the china and some of our other plates and platters and such in. I thought that was a great idea, and that of course, we could get one at IKEA. The other night we got online and looked at their site and saw that they didn't really have any such thing. I guess they're not that fashionable anymore because we didn't see a lot on any of the sites we looked at, except for RC Willey, and RC Willey charges an arm, a leg, and your firstborn for them. I got so depressed because as soon as we would see one that we liked and in a price range we liked, we would see that it was only for one of the pieces of the buffet/hutch. I didn't even know they were separate. I went to bed that night feeling depressed that we would probably not get a china cabinet and that we would have to store our dishes under the dining room table in cardboard boxes.
The next day, I had a stroke of genius and thought about looking on Craig's List for a china cabinet. I looked through and saw some china cabinets but, again, they were way out of our price range and/or ugly as sin. I almost stopped looking but I thought I'd scroll through a few more pages when I came upon a listing that seemed pretty good. I clicked on the link and there was more information plus a picture. It looked good and it was definitely within our budget. We figured we didn't want to spend any more than $500. I emailed Rob the link and he said that we should look into it. When I saw the date the listing was made, I figured that it must already be gone, or if it wasn't, that it must be a piece of junk and no one wanted to buy it. I called the guy and, to my surprise, it was still available. The owner said there was a blemish on it from the last move, but that it could easily be repaired. We had to drive up to Midway, which is kind of far, but we thought that we'd take a chance and go check it out since the price was super awesome!
I was feeling a little apprehensive as we drove up to the house, but when the lady opened the garage and I saw it sitting there, I knew we were going to get it. It looked great. I started looking for the "blemish," expecting a chunk of wood to be missing or broken glass, but I didn't see anything. The lady pointed out what she thought the blemish was, and it was just some varnish that had been rubbed off. It could easily be fixed, but it was so small that no one would notice unless it was pointed out. We opened the drawers and the cabinets and everything looked great. It is definitely not something that you'd find in a store today, but it is built well, in good shape, and the price was right. We shook hands on the deal and packed our china hutch up in the truck and smiled all the way back to Provo.
Wanna see what it looks like?
Wanna know how much we threw down for it?
$75.00
Awesome!



9 comments:
Gotta love craigslist! We got our son's bed for free on there (and it is a nice bed with only a small "blemish"). That is a nice china cabinet you have there. Looks antique-y and sturdy.
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!
Jen. Your so grown up! You have a china hutch!
Nice bargain! And don't you just LOVE Craigslist!! :)
Yeah! Sometimes I think Heavenly Father helps us find good deals--I know that sounds funny but yeah, strokes of good luck your way!
I tell you that is a great buy. I love that little invention called craigslist.
Nice work!
We went to a flea market on the other side of Munich last weekend and the best we came away with were 2 skirts/18 Euro. And some fresh fruit.
If you want an illuminated Virgin Mary, let me know. Maybe I can get it at a deal.
I think the lighted Virgin Mary will go nicely with my lighted Provo Temple made of beads.
I'll admit I've got the fine china. I'll also admit that since we moved to MN and had to sell our dining room set the china has sat in cardboard boxes in the storage room (no room in the kitchen). There's no room for a china hutch, either.
On another note, we LOVE Craigs List. We've bought kitchen chairs, a tent, a trampoline, and other miscellaneous items over Craig's List. Way to go on the bargain shopping!!
Post a Comment