
I work in a small office. Very small. So small that you hear every conversation and smell every smell eminating from a neighboring cube, the break room, bathroom... you catch my drift. There have been many days when a co-worker has heated up their lunch in the breakroom and then brought it out to their cube to eat it and I have wanted to vomit in my cup (but remember how the cleaning lady likes to take my cup and wash it? Sometimes when I feel like vomiting, it's not there). Anyhoo, there is one particular co-worker who likes to cook the same thing several times a week, and that smell is the most atrocious of all. I won't say who it is or what they're cooking because I don't know who it is or what it is. Seriously. I have yet to figure it out.
One day, I thought to myself "I'm glad that I never eat offensive smelling food at work."
I had an optometry appointment today during my lunch, so I didn't have time to go home to eat. Instead, I stopped at a very sinful eating establishment, a.k.a. Burgers Supreme, and got me a Gyro (pronounced "year-o"). I got back just in time for a meeting, so I left my Gyro on the desk and headed to the conference room. When I came back to my desk after the meeting, I could smell it. And it didn't smell all that good. I mean, it smelled good, but it smelled strongly of onions. Nobody likes to smell onions at work. I was really hungry by this point, so I unwrapped it and started snarfing it down. I could smell it, and I knew that everyone else could, and then I started to feel a little like Dwight Schrute in the episode of The Office where he says he isn't a time thief and Jim gets the stopwatch to prove him wrong. I am a "smell thief," and by that I mean that I stole the good, clean smelling air from my co-workers and replaced it with foul, gyro air.
Do I feel bad? Not really. Afterall, it was a dang good Gyro!


4 comments:
mmmm! gyro! delicious!
Mmmm...that sounds yummy right now. At Casey's old job, there was a guy who brought in a bunsen burner...you remember those from science class??? It looked just like one...he may have even stolen it from Mountain View. Anyhow, he would COOK fowl smelling things AT HIS DESK, mind you! He sat in a corner, and pretty much, that entire section of the office reaked of armpit, which would quickly and ever so hauntingly eek its way around the entire small building.
Now I'm craving gyro.
I'm really curious about who it is in the office. I haven't noticed the smell, so either it's me, or it just doesn't reach far enough to stink up my cubicle.
If it's me, I'm sorry. If not, I'll watch (or should I say smell) for who it is.
MMmmm! Good times. I am just glad you always refer to Dwight. He is my favorite. I thought it was great last night that Phyllis' hug went for $1000. That made my week.
Post a Comment