Monday, October 6, 2008

Thank Goodness!

I've woke up this morning feeling very grateful for the many blessings that Heavenly Father has bestowed upon me. I've been sick for over a week now, and have been feeling a little grouchy because of it, but something must have happened to me in the middle of the night that made me remember all of the many reasons that I shouldn't be grouchy. In no particular order, these are the things I felt thankful for today:

1) My wonderful, loving husband. One of the first things about Robert that I was attracted to was his kindness and genuineness (is that a word?). Since we met, I have been the recipient of his genuine kindness and love and have seen him express that to others, as well. He selflessly helps and serves his family and friends and since I have been sick he has selflessly served and taken care of me. It is hard for me to let others help, especially when I feel like crud and would like to crawl into a hole and not come out until I am well, but he is so sweet and loving that it was hard to refuse his help. I love him so much!

2) Fall weather. I can't help but think of the magnificence and power of God when I see the leaves change colors and feel the cold snap in the air. It's like it is His reward to us for making it through another nasty, hot summer.

3) Good friends. Being able to spend time with friends, new and old, and share the day's happenings, advice, funny stories, hard times, etc. Thanks for the laughs.

4) Latter-day prophets. One of my friends wanted to make foam fingers to sell outside of the Conference Center during General Conference that say "Latter-day Prophets are #1." Probably not a good idea, but Latter-day prophets are still #1. I am so thankful that we have prophets on the earth today to lead and guide us and convey to us the will of the Lord. Hard times are upon us, but we will be safe if we follow the prophet.

5) Modern medicine. Nancy Reagan says "Just Say No!", and so do I for the most part, but when it comes to anti-inflammatories and antibiotics, I "Just Say Yes!" My husband has been trying to get me to rub and inhale all sorts of homeopathic remedies, which are OK, but I'll take the hard stuff any day. Also, if anyone tells you that sticking a candle in your ear and lighting it will make you better, DON'T DO IT!

6) Funny pets. I get a lot of amusement from our cat, Kaydee. She's weird. I still don't like that she sheds and jumps up onto the bathroom sink, but she makes me laugh and I'm thankful for that.

7) Having relatively good health. Other than my recent illness, I am healthy and strong.

8) Having a home to live in, food to eat, climate control in both the house and vehicle, a job, insurance, Diet Coke, etc. In other words, not living in poverty. My friend, Krystal, and I were talking about some of the things we saw when we went to Mexico and felt so blessed that we have the things we have.

9) The blessings of the temple. I am so thankful that Robert and I have been sealed for time and all eternity. In General Conference yesterday, Elder Nelson gave a talk about families and said that salvation is an individual responsibility, but that exaltation takes a family.

4 comments:

Katie said...

What??? Your cat has my name!!! I'm so glad you spell it differntly.

JMadd said...

She came with that name. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but I am glad that it is spelled differently. I don't think that animals should have people names.

Tonya said...

Good post Jen! Sorry you have been sick, but I'm glad you have a sweet husband and are enjoying married life!!

McCarthas said...

Ditto