Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Each Life That Touches Ours for Good

I learned some tragic news this morning when I logged in to Facebook. A long-time family friend and former Sunday school teacher and bishopric member was in a horrible accident while hiking Mt. Whitney and died. Just like that. This life is so fleeting!

Kent Ashcraft was a wonderful man and a great teacher. His knowledge of the scriptures was unlike anyone I had ever known. As a teenager in his Sunday school class, I learned that the scriptures could be exciting and that there was actually some cool stuff in there that I could learn. When I was called to teach Sunday school, my first thought was "I want to be as good of a teacher as Kent Ashcraft." He and his family have been such a great example to me. You could tell that they really love one another. I'm grateful to have known Kent Ashcraft and I know that he is probably teaching the scriptures and telling jokes on the other side.

Learning of his death was shocking, to say the least, and I haven't been able to get it off of my mind all day. I called my dad to see if he had heard any details of the accident, and as we were talking he mentioned that in light of the circumstances, it reminded him that some things in life that we worry about just aren't that important. I've been worrying about my broken washing machine, the neighbors leaving trash on their porch and arguing at night, trying to figure out the placement of furniture in the condo, losing sleep over this stinking blog and comments left on it. In perspective, these things do not matter. What does matter is living life to the fullest and serving my fellow man. Instead of complaining about the neighbors, maybe I should pick up their porch trash and ask if they need any help with their kids.

In reading a hikers message board about Kent's death, every person who commented said that they knew his family was important to him, that he was a man of faith, and that he was a caring person. He lived his life so that people would know that about him. Even casual acquaintances. I want to live my life in the same way.

My heart goes out to his wife and children, but I take comfort in knowing that they will all be together again. I'm grateful for the knowledge that this life is not the end and that families can be together forever.


4 comments:

Katie said...

Things like this can really shake you up

Nathan said...

Wow, like you said, it puts everything in perspective.

I definitely feel for his family, and I hope they will be okay.

Cheryl said...

I know what you mean. I heard about the loss of a family friend this past Christmas, and I was heartbroken. But having the gospel sure helps put life and death in perspective, and I'm grateful for the knowledge that we can live again with our families and those we love. This man sure sounds like he was a great person and example to others. I too feel like I should do a lot better and be a lot better than I am, because you never know what lies ahead, or how much time we have to make a difference. Anyway, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. Experiences like this really are life altering and change all lives involved. My work puts me in daily contact with people dealing with the results of injury, accident, and neurologic disease. It's tough sometimes to see people suffer. But, it keeps my own life in perspective, for which I am so very thankful.