One year ago, Rob and I had our first date. There wasn't anything particularly special about the date, but there certainly was something special about the guy who asked me out on the date :) I'm so happy that I got up the nerve to tell him that I had a really good time and that I'd like to do it again. He tells me often that those were the magic words. And it must have been magic, because all I know is that one minute I was thinking that I was ready to go home since I had such bad heartburn, and then the next minute I was telling him I would like to go out again. It must have been the Spirit that moved me.
In honor of our first date anniversary, Rob brought me a dozen roses on Saturday morning. Then we went out to lunch at Ruby River, went shopping for plants at Home Depot, did our grocery shopping at Macey's, came home and planted pansies and strawberries, and then went down to Spanish Fork to see "Monsters vs. Aliens." I would highly recommend the drive to Spanish Fork to see a movie. There were probably 10 people in the theater, and the movie was surprisingly good.
It was nice to spend a day with my honey where we could take our time and didn't have to worry about anything else. We need to do it more often.
One thing that I've realized is that the counsel we've been given by church leaders to have a date night once a week really is crucial to the health of a relationship. Not that we're having a rough time, but life just get's so busy and crazy that I can see how if couples don't take time to just be with each other and not be talking about which bills need to be paid, oil changes, paint colors, etc., that they could possibly drift apart. And when children come, that just adds to the mix. I'm grateful that the gospel gives us direction in every aspect of our lives. In my Sunday school class that I teach, we've been talking about how every commandment that Heavenly Father gives His children, although it may seem more practical or temporal, is actually spiritual. The counsel to have a date night each week may seem practical in nature, but it really rejuvinated my spirit and helped my love grow for my husband.
As busy as life can and will get, we're always going to make it a priority to continue our courtship. It's been a wonderful year with my husband, and I'm looking forward to an eternity of wonder!
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I remember that night! I was over at your house and heard you talking about the date!
I was also present for Jeremy's first conversation with Sarah, so I guess you could say that I'm sort of a cupid or something. ;-)
I remember you coming back from that first date! Very thoughtful post by the way--and Morgan, if you are cupid, let's find someone for me too! :D
Congrats Jen! I'm happy for you!
That's great! Enjoy it now cause it gets harder when kids come. But it's a great thing to do and build your relationship!
I too remember you talking about your 1st date with Robert. I was so excited for you! And look at all the great things that have come about because of it. I also noticed that your new blog lay out reminds me of your reception colors. Aw love is in the air.
Congrats Jen! It was a good reminder to me to read this. Jason and I need to keep up our dating. It really is SO important.
Post a Comment