Speaking of random memories, I was driving in my car the other day when a song by Fiddy sparked a childhood memory of Bacardi. You may wonder why I have childhood memories of Bacardi, since I grew up in an LDS home. I'm beginning to wonder myself.
When I was about 8 or 9, I was smart enough and tall enough to reach the cupboard over the refrigerator if I stood on a stool. My dad hid some cheese puffs up there, and I wanted some. I remember moving stuff around because I wasn't seeing any cheese puffs, when I saw a bottle with some dark liquid in it and a scandalous label. The label had a tropical-looking lady on it, and her boobies were showing. I felt bad about seeing a lady's boobies, being that I was past the age of accountability and all. Nevermind that it was alcohol.
I'd check periodically to see if the bottle was still there, and it always was. I often wondered about it and why it was in our cupboard, but never said anything to my parents until I was a sophomore in college and we were cleaning out their kitchen in preparation for a remodel. I pulled out the bottle of Bacardi and asked my dad why it was in the cupboard all of those years, in the back, unopened. He told me that it was there just in case there was a natural disaster and he had to perform emergency surgery on someone. I had no reason to not believe him, even though he is not a trained medical doctor (he did offer to remove my wisdom teeth using tools from the garage to avoid paying an oral surgeon). I asked him if he wanted me to pack it up with the rest of the stuff, and he said that we should throw it away because it was so old that the fumes that would escape from unscrewing the cap would probably knock someone out. Sketchy, but then again, my dad is a weird dude.
The next time I call him, I'm going to ask him about the Bacardi.
Friday, April 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Haha...I currently have a bottle of Wild Turkey (bourbon) in my cabinet from a wild party at Christmas...yes, I made the pecan pie-it called for bourbon. I made some bourbon chicken a few weeks ago, but I don't think I like the taste of bourbon in my food much...so who knows how long I will keep the bottle, just waiting for an opportunity to use it. I'm still nursing, so I guess I won't drink it. And so, in 22 years, Beck will probably ask my why I've kept 3/4 a bottle of booz in my cabinet.
Quiz-what favorite British character loves a Bacardi and Coke?
I'm still freaking out about the use of the word "boobies" twice in your post. Yuck, yuck, and YUCK! We like to refer to it as a "chest."
That is too funny. You should ask him...you might find out some good family dirt! :D Remember Morgan's story about finiding the carton of Mountin Dew in his mom's closet? :D
Post a Comment