Friday, May 8, 2009

Let me see you grill!

A little while ago, Rob decided he wanted to get a grill. He looked around, did comparisons, fasted and prayed about it (j/k) and then picked out a nice Weber gas grill. Since we live in a condo, our only option for where to put it is on the porch. My concern was that someone would try to steal it. I suggested that we chain it to the railing, but Rob assured me that it would be difficult to steal a grill and that it would be OK. Since getting it, we've used it a handful of times but I had this sneaking suspicion that we weren't the only ones because sometimes the cover would be on it wanky or it would be moved out of its place. Rob is real meticulous about grill care, and there have been some food particles left on it when I've gone to fire it up. I don't know for sure, but I just have a feeling that someone else has been using it.

A few weeks ago, we went upstairs to welcome our new neighbors and as we were leaving, the guy mentioned something about our grill and after we left I said to Rob that maybe this guy thinks that he can use our grill whenever he wants. I brushed it off, but I made a mental note to keep a watch out for him. And then last week, I came home from work and the chairs on our porch were moved and there was a book on one of the chairs. I checked the grill and it wasn't hot, but now I'm being paranoid that the neighbors are sitting on our porch and using our grill. Should I say something to them about it? If they're not using it, then I'll seem foolish for saying something, but on the other hand... The other thing is that it could be 1 of 2 people who are using it. It could be either upstairs or downstairs.

Have you been in a situation like this? What would you do?

7 comments:

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

Mmm! That's a sticky situation. For one thing, I'd pray specifically about it before talking to them. Maybe you can get a dialogue of conversation going that can open up the topic so no accusations are made (correctly or uncorrectly). It's a safety concern, in addition to the lack of honesty. I'm curious what you'll do. Good luck. Neighbor issues are tough!!

Mallory said...

Put a small chain and lock on the grill perhaps on the handles?...under the cover. They'll get the point! And no one will think you're trashy, b/c no one will see the chain except the people trying to use it- and let's face it, there's not many things trashier than sneaking to your neighbor's while they're not home and using their major appliances. I think they'll get the point then.
Besides, you don't know what they're putting on it (dog or cat?) and it's bad manners not to clean up after yourself. Oh and not to mention they're using up all your propane- and that ain't cheap to refill after all your neighbors!

Christine said...

I agree with MalandCasey. Make it as tough as possible to use the grill.

Cheryl said...

Whoa, that's just weird! I can't imagine people taking such liberties on your stuff, I would be ticked off!
I could lend you one of Bob's signs that he has posted on our doors (his idea-not mine): it's a handgun that says basicallly this house is armed and ready to defend life, liberty, and personal property. Nothing in this house is worth risking your life! That might get their attention ;)

katieo said...

Put a little sign in the grill so when it opens up it says, "GOTCHA!" and then something creepy like, "We know you're using our grill...we'd appreciate if you'd ask first...and yes, we're watching you RIGHT NOW..."

haha! ok, so maybe not the best tactic, but the the funnest.

Unknown said...

I don't know but are those your weird newly wed neighbors who play dance-dance at all hours? Don't share germs. :D

foreverlaym said...

If I were you, I'd put one of those passive-aggressive roommate notes on it that says "Please ask before using" or something equally as lame. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do. The lock seems like a good idea.