Monday, May 4, 2009

States I Don't Want to Live In: Kentucky & West Virginia (mostly just Appalachia)

I saw a 20/20 special about Appalachia and I don't want to live there. There is a lot of Mountain Dew consumed there so a lot of people don't have teeth. I've never seen the movie Deliverance but I've heard enough about it that I don't want to live near hillbillies. I did see Coal Miner's Daughter and October Sky and it always seems dark in the Appalachians. And wet. My job options would be mine worker or drug dealer. Both really risky occupations. If you work them right, both could be pretty lucrative, but not lucrative enough to outweigh the risks of going to jail or getting Black Lung. I bet there are also serious vitamin D deficiencies from the lack of sun. Being Scandinavian, I'm already pretty pale. I'd be downright pasty in the Appalachians. I also don't like Mountain Dew. So, no Appalachians for me. I'll stick to the Wasatch.

7 comments:

Christine said...

" I think I've go the Black Lung, Pops." (followed by sound of weak coughing)

Mallory said...

So random! I love it! I was laughing so hard, Casey had to ask what I was giggling about. He found this post pretty funny too. BTW, I really DO want to share my yoga with you. Oh, and I AM a tramp.

katieo said...

But what about the Amish? :)

I guess they're more north...but still technically Appalachia right?

Unknown said...

Kentucky is actually very beautiful - my grandparents lived there when I was growing up - rolling fields of green with white fences and hedges and horses! But yeah, some sketchy parts with hillbillies too! :D

foreverlaym said...

Then again, if we were single, maybe it would be a good place to pick up a man. Pickings are probably pretty slim -- that is, if you don't want to marry your second cousin. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

JMadd said...

Heather - The Appalachians are starting to sound like St. George. Don't we know someone who married their 2nd cousin?

Christine - I just posed Le Tigre for you. It might've looked like Blue Steel, but it was Le Tigre.

katieo - I would live near the Amish any day. Especially if they would show me their secret for making those fireplaces.

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

I'm with you all the way!