Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Do you Hear What I Hear?

On Saturday night, the people who live downstairs decorated their porch for Christmas. It's early. I draw the line at putting up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. Call me old fashioned, but that's just how I feel. So, not only did they decorate, they really decorated. Lights, lights, lights, and even centerpieces. That's right. Centerpieces. There are also some stuffed animals and baskets of something-or-other. They also put up some lighted candy canes. And they keep the lights on 24/7. I'm glad that I'm not paying their electricity bill.



Not actually their porch, but close.

As we were walking out of the house on Sunday, Rob says to me, "You're not going to let them out-do us, are you?" I take that as a challenge. I'm trying to plan something Winter Wonderland-y, without being over the top or, dare I say, white trash. I'm thinking that I'll put up a fake, decorated tree outside, with some of the iceicle lights on the rail and a blow-up snow globe. But just one blow-up snow globe. Two for that small of a space is just too much. Maybe I can convince Rob to dress up as Santa a few nights a week and pass out candy. Do you think that's overboard? All joking aside, I need some ideas for porch decoration. I only have about 10 sq. feet to work with, so it's got to be good. If we lived in an actual house, I'd decorate it like this:

Just kidding ;)

7 comments:

Christine said...

Oh that's nothing. One family in our ward was obsessed with Christmas decor for the lawn (and the roof, and the car . . .) People in town would make a point of driving by every year to see what they had done. My husband called the decorations "National Lampoonish".

Karen Decker said...

Bah-humbug.

McCarthas said...

Hehe, the house that you would decorate it like, isn't that the same house as the christmas song with the lights that blink in rynthum. Hee that is funny, but with a small space, I would string lights(Blue, White, Green, Red) around any poles,and get a talking santa and miss clus or something. and I would put mistltoe everywhere.

Mallory said...

I think you're crossing Christmas with Halloween. I didn't know Santa handed out candy.....?
You'll have to read my blog to hear my white trash Christmas decoration experiences (after tonight...that's when I'll be writing it).
But I think you should stick with classy - cause you're a classy gal...something traditional that makes you think of that movie with Shirley Temple - Miracle on 24th st? Something that makes you want to sip hot chocolate...maybe that's what Rob/Santa should give out....

trublubyu said...

thanks for stopping by my blog.

and i think you should go all out on your decorations! and put some really tacky stuff out there- on purpose. and see what your neighbors think. but they probably won't tell you. you will have to find their blog.

Unknown said...

That is too early I agree...but I have been buying eggnog since Halloween.... :D

foreverlaym said...

Wrapping your front door like a present is always a hit. I saw lots of that in LA. And you can never go wrong with twinkle lights.