Monday, April 21, 2008

It's Not a Tumor!

My dad swears that a good sinus rinsing regimen will cure anything that ails you. I get frequent sinus infections, so I figure that I'm willing to try just about anything to prevent them from coming on. I went down to the WalMart and got myself a squirt bottle and some pre-mixed solution, in anticipation that this would be the panacea for my chronic condition.

Basically, you mix some warm water with a salt/baking soda solution and squirt it up your nose and it comes out of your nose and mouth. The idea behind it is that it rinses out anything that would cause allergies or infections. It sounds weird. And it is. It doesn't hurt, but it's not an altogether pleasant experience.

My dad and my sister always do it when they start to feel a little sick and it makes them feel better immediately. It would work the same for me, right? Wrong!

Everytime I do it, my gag reflex kicks in and I start to gag and make awful noises. I found out recently that my roommate thought I had an eating disorder because she would hear me gagging in the bathroom. I think that's pretty funny. No binging and purging for me.

Aside from the gagging, I don't think it had any affect on my sinus issues. In fact, it made them worse and caused an ear infection from the water forcing into my ears. Lame! What's a sick girl to do?

So hear I am, sitting at home, waiting to not be sick anymore. Being sick stinks. You can only watch so many episodes of Matlock, Full House, and the Cosby Show before you go insane. And don't even get me started on Tony Little - there is an informercial every hour for one of his hair-brained fitness products. I'm sick of being sick. The End.

4 comments:

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

I'm so sorry you are sick! That is horrible. It's like fun for the first couple hours and then it just gets boring.

So my mother in law has used netty pot and really like it. It's kinda the same concep that you were talking about. :)

Unknown said...

I didn't know it was baking soda you were squiting up your nose! Ewe. Ha ha. I thought baking soda was only good for cankers! You can always go back to that--light a candle in your ear idea! :)

Heidi said...

Sorry to hear you are sick. How was your date? Will you be blogging about it?

JMadd said...

I won't be blogging about the date... I don't kiss (or not kiss) and tell!