
When I went to Germany a couple of summers ago I found the BEST chocolate in the world. Granted, I haven't had chocolate from every country, but out of all of the chocolate I've had this is the best! While I was there, I bought about 50 bars of Rittersport for my friends and family and the rest to ration for myself since I didn't know if I'd be going back to Germany any time soon. I was all excited to send the chocolate and gummy bears from Germany, along with some Penguins and Digestives from the UK, to my family in Los Angeles. My dad called me to thank me for the goodies and said, "Are the chocolate and gummy bears supposed to be special?"
"Um, yeah, dad. They're from Germany."
"Well, they sell them at Ralph's"
"No they don't. These treats are unique to Germany so you better cherish them because you may never be able to get any ever again!"
"OK. Whatever."
My dad was just messing with me, like he always does, so I ignored him and put my precious Rittersport in the freezer for safe-keeping. I've been rationing it for almost 2 years, and I still have 1 bar of Alpenmilch stowed way in the back where no one can find it.
So, to prove my dad wrong, every time I go to Ralph's I look for the gummies and the Rittersport and have never been able to find either. Ha! I've been vindicated!
During my visit a few weeks ago, my nephew started throwing a fit because there was no more flatbread left and he wanted to make a flatbread pizza for dinner (he informed me that flatbread is kinda his new thing because you can make sandwiches, pizza, quesadillas, and all sorts of stuff with it). My dad gave me $5 and the keys to the car and sent me off to Trader Joe's for some flatbread. While I was in line at the Traders, I saw this guy from my parent's church who gives me the creeps so I ducked behind a shelf so he wouldn't see me. While I was hiding, I saw a whole display of... Rittersport and gummies! I waited for Brother McCreepy to leave the store, then grabbed as many bars as I could hold and checked out.
I didn't want my dad to know that he was partially right about my precious Rittersport being available in the U.S., so I tried to hide the bag when I walked in the house. Somehow, he always knows when you're trying to hide something so he asked me what was in the bag.
"Nothing. Just some nuts and stuff from Traders."
"What else?"
"Some chocolate."
"Can't you buy chocolate in Utah?"
"Yeah, but not this kind."
"And what kind would that be?"
"Um, ribberport."
"I may have heard you wrong, but did you say Rittersport? Ha! I told you they sold that stuff here in the U.S."
"Yeah, but you said it was at Ralph's and it's actually at Trader Joe's."
"Whatever, I was right about half of it."
This is just another example of how my dad is always right! Darn him and his rightness! Well, at least I don't have to ration my Rittersport anymore.


2 comments:
Rittersport is my favorite too! Dark chocolate with hazelnuts. They do sell it at smiths and the BYU bookstore, but they don't have all the good flavors. You definitely have to go to Europe for that.
okay i love Digestives! I tell you one place in America that has a lot of these treats...Disney World's Epcot. I could easily drop 200 bones there!
I love your blog!
Post a Comment