So today is Earth Day... the day we are supposed to celebrate the earth and be into environmentalism. I think I'm pretty eco-friendly: I recycle (please see "Stuff White People Like"), I now buy organic milk, fruits and vegetables, I turn lights off when I'm not in the room, I have the thermostat set to a decent temp, I drive a car that passed its emissions test, I don't burn my garbage, if it's yellow I might let it mellow. Just kidding on the last part. I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job of being an eco-responsible citizen. And then I go to MSN's homepage today and see all of the things that I'm not doing right. After reading all of the "green" tips, I feel as if I've not only been terribly remiss in not composting my garbage or taking public transportation, but that my remiss-ness is like unto kidnapping, robbery, or some other terrible felony.
I should not feel guilty for eating meat, using deoderant, and not taking my reusable tote to the devil WalMart with me. I am not going to start using Tom's of Maine vegan toothpaste. The last time I checked, my Crest didn't include animal products. As a side note, I hear that a butter/clay mixture is quite good at removing plaque. I'm not about to try that, either. And don't even get me started on recycled toilet paper or tampons. I'm definitely not going that route! So what's the solution?
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Yo. I saw that Tom's of Maine crap at my dental school at a recent vendor fair. I could have gotten free samples of it, but I don't buy into that crap. There is only one toothpaste I like and trust and that is Colgate Total.
Colgate Total. Trusted by dentists everywhere.
I ride my bike to the school and back and that is about as eco-friendly as I get. I want a Prius, but not to save the planet, but rather save my bank account. Going green will not bring costs down on other things though, sadly.
Oh yeah, and supposedly, we sent an invitation to you on the 28th of March for our blog. It should have gone to your gmail account, since you need one of thems to log into the blog.
jen you're doing great. it's seriously a fake thing. it's such a hot topic that is so annoying. I'll start buying a hybrid or electric car when it becomes affordable.
we almost bought the civic hybrid but after realized that it only got 7 more miles than our reg. civic and cost 7 grand more...there was no way!
i personally think that if we are not purposefully being wasteful then we are doing fine. :)
how's work? anyone miss me yet? ;) I've been packing and moving like no tomorrow. I'm trying to decide which is worse...packing for 9 hours straight or replying to a reporter that just got mad at me? you pick. miss ya. :)
I hear eating all of your food raw helps and well. And not showering will help save the plant, you may also try only flushing the toilet after three usages or building a latrine in your neighbors condo-yard; just a few suggestions from your wonderful roomate! ;0
When I was in elementary school, we were having a huge drought in SoCal so the school told us "if it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." I'm not about to enforce that policy. The not showering can be easily achieved since we seem to run out of hot water quite frequently in the mornings. Whose yard should we build a latrine in?
I feel I have done my duty to the eco-friendly world. I walked around with my dad for YEARS picking up cans and recycling them. Even though my recycling days are long gone, I still consider them a good enough reason to not have to do anything now.
Post a Comment