I have a lot of guilty pleasures: mani/pedis (I'd rather pay someone to cut my toenails than do it myself), the Backstreet Boys, the movie Juno, and NBC's The Office. The guilty pleasure I wish to focus on for this blog post is NBC's The Office. I personally think that this is one of the best-written, smartest shows ever made. Sometimes it's so smart that I have to watch it 3 or 4 times before I get all of the humor in it. I had to watch last night's episode twice and then had to read the quotes online before I really started to LOL/ROTFL. Last night's episode, "Chair Model," was especially funny for so many reasons. One of those reasons being that it was about Michael's recent singleness after his breakup with Jan (did anyone else not see that coming?) and starting to get back into the single's scene. This is an awesome quote and I think everyone who is or who has ever been single at some point in their life (and that's everyone) can relate to it.
Michael Scott: "What is it like being single? I like it! I like starting each day with a sense of possibility. And I'm optimistic, because everyday I get a little more desperate. And desperate situations yield the quickest results."
If you saw the episode last night, you know that Michael asked everyone in the office to give him the name and number of an eligible bachelorette for him to go out with. In the last few months I've had friends come out of the woodwork wanting to set me up with people they know. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot. It's kind of exciting but kind of depressing at the same time. I've had some pretty bad line ups in the past - out of all of them, 2 were or had been homeless and 1 was CRAZY. The crazy one also happened to be one of the previously homeless ones. Not a great track record, so I'm always a little leary when someone wants to set me up. Last night's episode hit close to home because I actually have a blind date this weekend. I pre-screened this one to make sure he wasn't homeless or crazy, so no worries there. This is where last night's episode comes in. I'm worried that my date will somehow turn out like this:
Michael Scott: "She is wearing blue jeans and a black top. So... behold my bachelorette. I give her 10 for looks and a 3 for her ability to describe herself. Hello milady."
The woman he is looking at is blonde and wearing a white blouse and black/yellow skirt. And then his actual date walks in...
Woman: Michael?
Michael Scott: Eeew.
Woman: Are you Michael Scott?
Michael Scott: Is who Michael what?
Woman: Oh. I'm sorry I'm supposed to be meeting someone named Michael.
Michael Scott: Oh, that's not, yeah me--
Server: Michael? Michael. Large hot chocolate with caramel and a shot of peppermint.
A little bit later...
Woman: Well I'm gonna head out.
Michael Scott: Oh. Okay. Well, um, I enjoyed this, conversation. It was very nice. It was like talking to the sweet old lady on the bus.
Woman: That's incredibly rude.
Michael Scott: Now you ruined it. [walks out]
Back to full circle... "What's it like being single? I like it. I like starting each day with a sense of possibility. And I'm optimistic...." Wish me luck!


3 comments:
Good luck Jen! I hope it goes well!
oh this episode was so great.
Maybe that is what I need to do, force all of my students and friends to give me an index card with a blind date idea on it, or I guess, make them set me up or they die? LOL. Michael Scott might have just had a good idea on that one. JK.
Post a Comment